Web Part Error: WSS cannot deserialize the Web Part. RRS feed

• Question

• Am working to restore a SharePoint 2007 site for someone. They apparently had some issues that led them to run Windows repair, which totally broke their SP site (404 errors mainly). I deleted and recreated the web application and have the site back up now.

But every web part is displaying this error:

Web Part Error: One of the properties of the Web Part has an incorrect format. Windows SharePoint Services cannot deserialize the Web Part. Check the format of the properties and try again.
    If I go to Site Settings and look at the list of web parts there, and click on any part, I get a message saying "Cannot create XmlSerializers for this Web Part"
    What is this about and how might I fix it? Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:41 PM

Answers

• Solved: the account used for the application pool's identity needed to have read/write permission to the Windows Temp directory and the log directory in system32.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 11, 2011 3:43 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:31 PM

All replies

• Solved: the account used for the application pool's identity needed to have read/write permission to the Windows Temp directory and the log directory in system32.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 11, 2011 3:43 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:31 PM
  • For your information, you can check with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826786

To resolve this issue, make sure that the following permissions are configured correctly:

Windows directory
    <var>%WinDir%</var>\Temp
    Administrators - Full Control
    SYSTEM - Full Control
    STS_WPG - Read, Write
    Network Service (for a domain controller only) - Read, Write

<var>%WinDir%</var>\system32\logfiles
    STS Administrators - Full Control
    SYSTEM - Full Control
    STS_WPG - Read, Write
    Network Service (for a domain controller only) - Read, Write

Thanks,