none
Track Changes compatibility from Word 2010 to Word 2016

Question

• I noticed that if a document is created in Word 2016 track changes on and  made and then saved, emailed and opened in 2010. Then saved, emailed and opened in Word 2016 that the document automatically accepts the changes?

When the doc is opened in 2010 track changes are not made, but same doc opened in 2016 the changes have been made?

Is there a add-on that we can install on the 2010 version for the 2016 version not to automatically accept the changes?

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm not sure if I've understood your question correctly, but according to my testing, I can see the changed when the document is emailed to my test machine and opened in Word 2010. Do you mean when the document is emailed and opened using Word 2010, you cannot see the tracked changes? According to your description, you need an add-on to prevent Word 2010 to automatically accept the changes, correct? If this is the case, I'm afraid Microsoft doesn't provide such an add-on.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Most likely, the problem is that the VIEW of the markup is different on the computer running Word 2016. See if the document has opened in Read Mode or in Protected view. Word 2016 (and 2013) also has a new view for displaying markup (the so-called Simple Markup view) which may not show the same level of detail.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure if I've understood your question correctly, but according to my testing, I can see the changed when the document is emailed to my test machine and opened in Word 2010. Do you mean when the document is emailed and opened using Word 2010, you cannot see the tracked changes? According to your description, you need an add-on to prevent Word 2010 to automatically accept the changes, correct? If this is the case, I'm afraid Microsoft doesn't provide such an add-on.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Most likely, the problem is that the VIEW of the markup is different on the computer running Word 2016. See if the document has opened in Read Mode or in Protected view. Word 2016 (and 2013) also has a new view for displaying markup (the so-called Simple Markup view) which may not show the same level of detail.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:29 PM