none
DPM 2010 system state backup inconsistent with event 546 logged on protected system RRS feed

• Question

• I've started receiving the following error in DPM 2010 during system state backup of my domain's PDC (running W2K8R2 SP1):

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 546, WSB Error Code:  0x807800B4). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

The event log shows the following error at the same time:

The backup operation attempted at '‎2011‎-‎04‎-‎07T13:23:32.087063900Z' has failed to start, error code '2155348148' (Volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Nothing is in the event details and the system state is less than 2TB in size.  Further, the command "WBADMIN START SYSTEMSTATEBACKUP -backupTarget:f:" succeeds.

I occasionally create Hyper-V guests on this system to test different tasks before deploying them.  It seems like this started failing after creating a hyper-v guest.  I've deleted all the hyper-v guests and disk VHD files (except the single one I had present before this error started) and still have the problem.

Thanks for any help.

• Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:30 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:08 PM

Answers

• I actually have solved this problem and should have posted the solution.  It was due to installation of Windows Deployment Services.  WDS creates a share that is supposed to be placed on a non-system drive.  I placed this on a non-system data drive S:.  This caused BMR to treat drive S: as a critical volume and included it in the BMR backup.  This drive has many other data files on it and thus I exceeded the limit.  Forcing WDS to use C: for the share (although not recommended), added no additional volumes to my BMR and allowed the system state backup to function.

Something with the WDS share makes BMR treat the drive is critical.  I don't know what it is.  It would be nice to be able to exclude it in some manner.

• Marked as answer by simdoc Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:46 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• Are you able to use the wbadmin UI to create the system state backup to the same location designated in the psdatasourceconfig.xml?
    Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:16 PM
  • I actually have solved this problem and should have posted the solution.  It was due to installation of Windows Deployment Services.  WDS creates a share that is supposed to be placed on a non-system drive.  I placed this on a non-system data drive S:.  This caused BMR to treat drive S: as a critical volume and included it in the BMR backup.  This drive has many other data files on it and thus I exceeded the limit.  Forcing WDS to use C: for the share (although not recommended), added no additional volumes to my BMR and allowed the system state backup to function.

Something with the WDS share makes BMR treat the drive is critical.  I don't know what it is.  It would be nice to be able to exclude it in some manner.

• Marked as answer by simdoc Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:46 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Thanks for posting that.  Great information to have.  Here is a thread which deals with  a couple of ideas on excluding files/folders from a BMR backup.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-ZW/dpmssandbmrbackup/thread/450405f1-81f2-4677-9428-ee5ab21a37c3 

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:35 PM