Email Auto Replies for Shared Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a shared mailbox used for customer inquiries. I have seen other businesses having an automatic reply setup notifying the customer on things like contact details and when they can expect a reply, which is a nice touch. I'd like to implement that as well

Is it possible to setup an Automatic Reply just for that purpose? My understanding on auto replies is that it only sends the reply once to the customer? Is there a way to set the replies so that it will keep sending if the same customer sends multiple inquiries?

Even better if you can direct me to what needs to be done

Thank you for your time

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Tommy,

That's OK. I understand that because it looks an Outlook configuration should be feasible to for this request. As I mentioned before, it will be easier if you have full access permission to the shared mailbox. If you don't have full access permission over the shared mailbox, go ahead with the MS Flow method and get further assistance in the dedicated MS Flow forum.

Thanks,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Steve Fan Monday, November 26, 2018 8:33 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, November 26, 2018 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tommy0824 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:21 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2018 10:17 AM

All replies

• I managed to find something which seems to work

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Automated-Response-to-Sender-Shared-Mailbox-Flow/td-p/40249

i managed to get the auto replies from both internal and external email addresses

My next question is about email loops. Would there be a scenario where spam / phishing emails with no return mailbox will essentially create an infinite email loop? For example:

1. spam email arrives to mailbox A
    2. MS Flow sends a reply email to the spam email address
    3. No valid mailbox from spam email address, email rejection / error goes back to mailbox A
    4. mailbox A will auto respond

will / could that actually happen?

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 11:51 PM
  • Hi Tommy,

I'm not sure how Microsoft Flow works. You may consult it within the dedicated Microsoft Flow forum.

If you have Full Access permission to the shared mailbox, you can also consider to configure Automatic Reply for the shared mailbox from Outlook client side. For your reference: Setting an auto reply for a shared mailbox

Regarding the Auto Reply mail loops, you can follow the instructions in the following article to mitigate it.

Mitigating Mail Loops when using Auto Reply in Exchange 2010

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, November 23, 2018 10:17 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 9:13 AM
  • Thanks Steve

I posted here first because at first instance i thought it could and would be an outlook rule that i could config. Did some additional research and found the Flow method after that

Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:19 PM
  • Hi Tommy,

That's OK. I understand that because it looks an Outlook configuration should be feasible to for this request. As I mentioned before, it will be easier if you have full access permission to the shared mailbox. If you don't have full access permission over the shared mailbox, go ahead with the MS Flow method and get further assistance in the dedicated MS Flow forum.

Thanks,
    Steve Fan

• Edited by Steve Fan Monday, November 26, 2018 8:33 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, November 26, 2018 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tommy0824 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:21 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2018 10:17 AM