Exchange 2016 auto-forward rule recipients limitations RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I would like to create inbox rule for some user where incoming e-mail from specified internal user is forwarded to 30 another users in this same organization.When I have set more than 23 recipients in rule, below errors appears:

In outlook 2016:

"one or more rules cannot be uploaded to microsoft exchange and have been deactivated"

in Outlook on the Web:

"the operation couldn't be performed because 'GUID' couldn't be found"

I've extended rule quota to 256kb for this user. This is the only one rule created for this account. We cannot use DG. I know it's a workaroud. I see that some limit has been hardcoded for amount of recipients in this rule for Exchange 2016.

This Article explains something in this matter but It doesn't say "how much"

Inbox Rule in web app (sry i cannot post links - new account)

When you create a forwarding rule, you can add more than one address to forward to. The number of addresses you can forward to might be limited, depending on the settings for your account. If you add more addresses than are allowed, your forwarding rule won’t work. If you create a forwarding rule with more than one address, test it to be sure it works.

Does anyone have official information regarding this topic?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Monday, January 28, 2019 12:15 PM

Answers

• Forwarding throug DG is working correctly, but it isn't what I want to achieve. Each user in rule might be removed or replaced by another one from... let's say "management decision". That's why we delegated specific person to edit list of recipients.

I have created two exactly this same rules placing 15 recipients in each one and suprisingly it's working.
    This prooves that Forward To rule has limitation in recipients list. One of my goals when I've created this topic was getting official statement of Microsoft employee "how many recipients can I set in Forward To rule"

• Marked as answer by gre.g_k Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:14 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I did a lot of research, but only find the rule quota could limit the rule creation. The number of addresses you can forward to might be limited by this rule quota. Since you have extended rule quota to 256kb and it doesn’t work, we could try to decrease the size of the rule. 

For reference: Some rules are disabled, and you receive an error message when you try to create or enable rules in Outlook

You could try to use transport rules to meet your requirement.
    Go to EAC, mail flow > rules > Create a new rule. Create rules like “Apply this rule if the sender is user01 or user02, and the recipient is user03 or user04. CC/BCC to …”:

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Thank you for answer.

I've changed quota limit to 100KB and i doesn't change anything, same effect. Transport rule on exchange isn't also a solution. We need to allow standard user to change recipients list in this rule from time to time. That's why I cannot use any available workarounds.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

Since the maximum value of rule quota is 256KB, if it doesn’t work, the only way is to decrease the size of the rule. However, in your case, there are too may users need to forward. Are there any regular users that can be added to a distribution group? 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Forwarding throug DG is working correctly, but it isn't what I want to achieve. Each user in rule might be removed or replaced by another one from... let's say "management decision". That's why we delegated specific person to edit list of recipients.

I have created two exactly this same rules placing 15 recipients in each one and suprisingly it's working.
    This prooves that Forward To rule has limitation in recipients list. One of my goals when I've created this topic was getting official statement of Microsoft employee "how many recipients can I set in Forward To rule"

• Marked as answer by gre.g_k Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:14 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

I did a lot of research, but I cannot find any articles about how many users can be set to be forwarded in a Inbox rule.

In my test, I can create and enable a rule to forward to 24 usersHowever, you can only set 23 users to be forwarded, am I right? 

Additionally, thanks for your sharing and we would suggest you mark your reply as answer. Your solution may help more people with similar issues.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:46 AM