Questions about installing the SCCM Client RRS feed

• Question

• Next week we will be upgrading from SMS to SCCM R3.  Upgrading is not the best phrase, as we are doing a clean SCCM infasturcutre setup without using any SMS components.  I have a question about the best way to get the new SCCM client on our current SMS clients.

1.  Can I use SMS to push out the new SCCM client and it will upgrade each system, removing the SMS client? 

2.  Should/Must we wait until the new SCCM Central site is up and running beofre upgrading clients to the new SCCM client, or can we upgrade the SMS clients a few days before?  Of course I'm assuming if we do this then the new SCCM clients will be blind?  I'd like to upgrade the SMS clients to SCCM before we setup the new infastructure.  Will it save a lot of time or will it just be a headache?

3.  Once the old SMS subnet boundaries are removed in SMS, we will then reuse the same exact subnets in SCCM. Once we assign these subnets to SCCM, the 'blind/orphan' SCCM clients will start to show up in the SCCM console as assigned clients, correct?

Thanks!!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. In Torsten’s reply, he means that you cannot push SCCM by SMS. And you have 2 options: A) install SCCM directly; B)upgrade to SCCM directly.

2. "SCCM is online" should be required to upgrade existing SMS clients to SCCM.

3. SCCM and SMS can co-exist if there are no overlapping boundaries.

More information about Side-By-Side Upgrade, you may refer to the following link:

Administrator Workflow: Side-By-Side Upgrade

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, February 14, 2011 3:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, February 14, 2011 3:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:21 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 10:19 AM

All replies

• #1: you can't use _SMS_ to push the ConfigMgr client, but you could use _ConfigMgr_ to push the client. Or use SMS to upgrade to client using software distribution (changing the site assignment at the same works). Keep in mind that you have to provide RESETKEYINFORMATION=true.
    #2: ConfigMgr clients can only be assigned to a ConfigMgr (not SMS) site, so the ConfigMgr infrastructure must be up and running.
    #3: you can assign clients to the ConfigMgr site without having boundaries defined there (given that you don't use auto site assignment).
    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:11 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:20 PM
  • #1: you can't use _SMS_ to push the ConfigMgr client, but you could use _ConfigMgr_ to push the client. Or use SMS to upgrade to client using software distribution (changing the site assignment at the same works). Keep in mind that you have to provide RESETKEYINFORMATION=true.
    #2: ConfigMgr clients can only be assigned to a ConfigMgr (not SMS) site, so the ConfigMgr infrastructure must be up and running.
    #3: you can assign clients to the ConfigMgr site without having boundaries defined there (given that you don't use auto site assignment).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

For your answer #1, you say I can't use SMS to push the client but then say I could use SMS to upgrade via 'software distrbution' option.  So I'm confused.  Can I use SMS or must wait untill CCM is online to upgrade existing SMS clients to SCCM?

Also question #4.  Can we mix and match boundaries?  Using subnet for one site and then AD Site code for another SCCM site?

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, February 11, 2011 10:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, February 14, 2011 3:32 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

1. In Torsten’s reply, he means that you cannot push SCCM by SMS. And you have 2 options: A) install SCCM directly; B)upgrade to SCCM directly.

2. "SCCM is online" should be required to upgrade existing SMS clients to SCCM.

3. SCCM and SMS can co-exist if there are no overlapping boundaries.

More information about Side-By-Side Upgrade, you may refer to the following link:

Administrator Workflow: Side-By-Side Upgrade

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, February 14, 2011 3:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, February 14, 2011 3:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:21 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 10:19 AM