none
452 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with Exchange 2016 CU2. Periodically I see message in our relay "Deferred: host exch2016 said: 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources (in reply to end of DATA command)".

CPU usage 35%, memory usage 82% free space on drive where Exchange installed 25%.

What resources are not enough?

Regards,

Anton

Friday, September 23, 2016 4:49 AM

Answers

• I resolve this issue!!

I had 2 old Exchange 2010 mailbox servers. They have been turned off. I don't know why, but when I uninstall Exchange from their everything working fine.

Thank's for your help Jason.

Regards,

Anton

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:03 AM

All replies

• I noticed something strange... Insufficient system resources message appears every 5-10 seconds. In resource usage nothing changes.
    Friday, September 23, 2016 1:45 PM
  • In my experience, this is almost always a disk space issue. Usually it is low disk space where the transport queue is located (default C:). Many organization underestimate the amount of disk space required for C: when all of the various logs and transport queue are included.

Byron Wright (http://byronwright.blogspot.ca)

Friday, September 23, 2016 3:12 PM
  • In my case disk C size 160Gb, 40Gb free.

I did an experiment. I route mail trafic to anoher Exchange 2016 server. This server no have mailbox database, only mailbox role. And I have same issue.

Friday, September 23, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Hi Anton,

You need to check if any Back Pressure related error/warning events (for example: 15004 15005 etc.)in Event log.

It’s recommended to read the following article related to the error “452 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources” and the solutions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30254.exchange-2010-error-452-4-3-1-insufficient-system-resources-is-resolved.aspx

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 26, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Hi Jason,

no 1500* message in logs.

When I add <add key="EnableResourceMonitoring" value="false" /> key in EdgeTransport.exe.config Exchange Transport Service can't start with "unexpected error" message.

Regards,Anton

Monday, September 26, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Does anyone know how to disable Back Pressure in Exchange 2016?

Regdrds,

Anton

Monday, September 26, 2016 4:21 PM
  • I successfully added key <add key="EnableResourceMonitoring" value="false" /> in EdgeTransport.exe.config but nothing changes. Every fourth attempt to send SMTP message ends with an error "Insufficient system resources"

Regards,

Anton

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:04 AM
  • Hi Anton,

Could you please make a screenshot of the queued messages? or use the command: get-queue to check and post out the detailed error message?

It's recommended to refer to the following similar thread for the troubleshooting steps :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9428c9f2-dacb-4c38-9cd4-49eb03e1d938/exchange-2016-not-receiving-some-messages-452-460-insufficient-system-resources-io?forum=Exch2016MFSM

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Hi Jason,

This messages not in Exchange queue. They stay in Barracuda spam firewall outbound queue with "deferred" state.

I added key in config files as you recommend. Nothing changes.

Barracuda have SMTP test tools. This tool can send message using simple SMTP command. Test message looks like this:

Connected to 10.1.5.73:25 session output follows:
    220 msk-exch2016fe1 Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Thu, 29 Sep 2016 07:22:52 +0300
    EHLO relay
    250-msk-exch2016fe1 Hello [10.1.5.53]
    250-SIZE
    250-PIPELINING
    250-DSN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-STARTTLS
    250-X-ANONYMOUSTLS
    250-AUTH NTLM LOGIN
    250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM
    250-8BITMIME
    250-BINARYMIME
    250-CHUNKING
    250 XRDST
    mail from:<smtptest@barracudanetworks.com>
    250 2.1.0 Sender OK
    rcpt to:<anton_savochkin@domain.com>
    250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
    data
    354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
    Content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
    Date: Thu Sep 29 07:22:53 2016
    Subject: Test message

This is a test message from your Barracuda Spam Firewall.

Every fourth attempt to send test message end with an error 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources.

Regards,

Anton

Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Hi Anton,

Thanks for your reply. Based on your description, there no Backpressure Events and every fourth time send the message it’ll give the error message.

Does the affect users are an on database?  You can create a new database and create new users to have a test.

Test: send the test messages to the new user in newly created database to see if the error still exists.

If it doesn’t work, it’s recommended to check and analyze the performance log as follow:

Look in <Exchange Install Drive>\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging\Diagnostics\DailyPerformanceLogs you will find Perfmon files

Check the values of “Disk Sec/Read” and “Disk Sec /Write”, please refer to the following blog:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/samdrey/2015/01/26/exchange-2013-performance-counters-and-their-thresholds/

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao

Friday, September 30, 2016 8:10 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Move test user to new database not help.

In performance logs:

Disk Read: average 33.946, minimum 18.033, maximum 823.881

Disk Write: average 44.690, minimum 26.250, maximum 167.508

Regards,

Anton

Monday, October 3, 2016 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

In C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive I see:

+,,
    >,"220 exch2016 Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:33:07 +0300",
    <,EHLO relay,
    >,250  exch2016 Hello [10.1.5.53] SIZE PIPELINING DSN ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES STARTTLS X-ANONYMOUSTLS AUTH NTLM LOGIN X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM 8BITMIME BINARYMIME CHUNKING XRDST,
    <,mail from:<smtptest@barracudanetworks.com>,
    *,08D3E81E0E1A1FD6;2016-10-04T11:33:07.926Z;1,receiving message
    >,250 2.1.0 Sender OK,
    <,rcpt to:<anton_savochkin@domain.com>,
    >,250 2.1.5 Recipient OK,
    <,data,
    >,354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>,
    *,,Proxy destination(s) obtained from OnProxyInboundMessage event
    >,452 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources,
    -,,Remote(SocketError)

Using connector: "Default Frontend".

Any ideas?

Regards,

Anton

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

The performance log seems fine.

It’s recommended to move the queue database to another volume with ample of free space, using the following procedure:

Add the following key in the <AppSettings> section in EdgeTransport.exe.config, as documented in “How to Change the Location of the Queue Database“:

<add key=“QueueDatabasePath” value=”D:\Queue\QueueDB” />

Save the file and restart the Microsoft Exchange Transport service from the Services console or by using the Restart-Service cmdlet (Restart-Service MSExchangeTransport).

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao

Friday, October 7, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

unfortunately this not help me.

Regards,

Anton

Monday, October 10, 2016 5:42 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. It looks strange, no backpressure, no disk read/wirte delay. it's recommended to update your exchange to CU3 via the following link and check the results:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53837

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:10 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I already did this. I update one of our exchange to CU3. This not help :(

Regards,

Anton

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 11:14 AM
  • I resolve this issue!!

I had 2 old Exchange 2010 mailbox servers. They have been turned off. I don't know why, but when I uninstall Exchange from their everything working fine.

Thank's for your help Jason.

Regards,

Anton

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:03 AM
  • Welcome! Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved and thanks for your sharing.

BR.

Jason Chao

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:50 AM
  • In my case i had Exchange 2013 with 7 Gb free on C drive, once expanded it with extra 15 Gb i received all emails queued
    • Proposed as answer by Joe Sampsel Tuesday, July 3, 2018 4:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:21 AM
  • The same event occurred on Exchange Server 2016 cu8.
    In my case Free got 20 GB with 5 GB and the event was resolved.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:13 AM
  • Thanks for this thread.  Had 9.9GB available on C:.  Freed up another 50GB and we are all good.  Probably overkill, but we have plenty of space from our SAN
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 5:47 PM