MS Project 2013 Won't Launch - App-V 5 RDS Client RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue with Project Pro 2013, streaming the App-V Package to a 2012 Server VM running the 5.0 RDS Client.

The publishing and streaming server is also a Server 2012 VM.

I've created the app-v packages using the latest office deployment tool and installed all the hotfixes for the RDS client.

All the office applications launch and work without any issues, including Visio Pro, but Project 2013 will not launch and returns the following error message:

"There is not enough memory available to complete the operation. To free up available memory, close programs, projects or windows you aren't using, and then try again."

We have increased the available memory on the VM to 23.5GB and it is using less than 2GB. The same Project package also streams to app-v desktop client without any issues (tested on a Windows 8.1 machine with 8GB RAM).

The application event log shows a 2000 or 2001 event with Microsoft Office 15 as the source when you next attempt to open Project and get this message:

"Project couldn't start last time. Safe mode could help you troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in this mode."

If I select yes to start in safe mode, it goes back to the "not enough memory" error. The next attempt to open Project, the message changes to offer to run repair, then says that it cannot run Detect and Repair on a Terminal Server.

I couldn't see anything else in the event logs and have not had much luck researching this issue online.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    • Edited by James_P82 Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:20 AM typo
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks to Rory and Nathan for your input. Nathan's suggestion of trying a local install led me down the path that eventually presented me with a more informative error message.

Turns out there were some 64 bit Office components installed locally on the server VM and the Project App-V package was the 32 bit version. I uninstalled the 64 bit Office components and the Project package now launches as expected.

Monday, July 20, 2015 12:27 AM

All replies

• Wow, I've never had that problem before. Out of interest what happens if you run it on a different machine like your Desktop?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:39 PM
  • I tested the same package on a Windows 8.1 laptop and it worked without any issues.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 11:24 PM
  • I don't think this a memory issue - it one of those red herring error messages. Out of interest what happens if you run it as an administrator? Any chance you can try the local install and test that, to determine if its an App-V or local environmental issue?
    Friday, July 17, 2015 11:42 AM
  • Thanks to Rory and Nathan for your input. Nathan's suggestion of trying a local install led me down the path that eventually presented me with a more informative error message.

Turns out there were some 64 bit Office components installed locally on the server VM and the Project App-V package was the 32 bit version. I uninstalled the 64 bit Office components and the Project package now launches as expected.

Monday, July 20, 2015 12:27 AM