How to make two exchange servers send mail with one outbound (Public) IP address RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 2 exchange 2016 mailbox servers in a DAG setup. I have configured external (public) iP on server_1 and server_2 has no external IP. Send connector is associated with both servers. The problem is if a user sends two emails, one is likely to go through server_2 which does not have external IP. In that case it goes through default gateway configured on LAN NIC and eventually outbound IP of email sent will be our Broadband IP. This sometimes causes some emails to be rejected because of PTR issues. (Broadband IP has no PTR record)
    With the setup I have described, if we want to maintain one public IP for both exchange servers, what option do you think is best and cheap for us? Your help will be most appreciated.
    Thank you

Monday, November 28, 2016 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have 2 exchange 2016 mailbox servers in a DAG setup. I have configured external (public) iP on server_1 and server_2 has no external IP. Send connector is associated with both servers. The problem is if a user sends two emails, one is likely to go through server_2 which does not have external IP. In that case it goes through default gateway configured on LAN NIC and eventually outbound IP of email sent will be our Broadband IP. This sometimes causes some emails to be rejected because of PTR issues. (Broadband IP has no PTR record)
    With the setup I have described, if we want to maintain one public IP for both exchange servers, what option do you think is best and cheap for us? Your help will be most appreciated.
    Thank you

If you only have 1 public IP that you can use for mailflow then you will need to either send from one server, obtain a device that can act as mailgate way that accept connections from both servers, or purchase some more public ips.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Monday, November 28, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Thanks so much for your reply. To send from one server, do you mean I should remove the second server from the send connector? In that case how will second server send external mails?

I think I tried this before and mails were stuck in second server. I have 2 mailbox databases; server_1 holds the active copy for db1 and inactive copy for db2. Server_2 holds active copy for db2 and inactive copy for db1.

I would like to explore the option of sending from one server so please suggest how that can be done.

Thank you. 

Monday, November 28, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hi.

Best practice recommendation install Edge Server. You can managment Inbound/Outboud Mailflow in one point and protected mail system.

You need check GW for support use one IP for different protocol.

Edge Server use SMPT 25.

Mailbox Server use HTTPS 443 for OWA,AS, and you can public HTTPS As FARM IIS on GW. 

Edge Transport servers

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

• Edited by Oleg.Kovalenko Monday, November 28, 2016 7:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:22 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Thanks for the response. Edge Transport server will definitely be the best option but our concern is licensing cost. We are looking for an option that will save us the cost of extra license for Edge server. I will appreciate an option that can "force" all mails to go through the server with the public IP. My searches have not yielded any positive results in that regard.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Use third party replay device like symantec brightmail gateway.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:59 PM