How to prevent users from locking out the windows surface pro 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few Surface pro 4's that are used by multiple users. They are mostly used as terminal emulators to perform various tasks around our shop. My issue is when one users is finished using the tablet they normally just close the keyboard, without closing out of the termanal emulator, thus locking the virtual comm port to that users account. I have to maintain accountability of who uses the tablets so just turning off the lock option will not work. 

These systems do not require the saving of ongoing work that the lockout option protects, so i was wanting to force signing out instead of the ability for a user to lock the system.

any suggestions on how to accomplish this? or another method i could use to unlock that virtual comm port from that user account?

Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,  are these Surface member of domain? if so, you can create a group policy to hide shutdown, restart etc. button and just have only Log Out button for users.

Thanks

Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Thank you for your reply,

They are not part of a domain, and I have asked the users to sign out when they are not using the device. But, the ability to lockout the system, for what it is to be used for, is still there and im being asked to take it out to minimize risk.

Currently, I have to leave the lock function in so that I have the ability to ask for credentials to access the system from when they close and open the keyboard.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:18 PM
  •  this is achievable but you would need to do little bit of batch script and scheduling. See below link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/laptop-user-log-off-when-lid-closed/66bfc140-355b-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:29 PM