SQL Server 2008 R2 deploying any version of sharepoint results in extremly slow DB creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, When installing any version of Sharepoint(2007,2010) during the "Creating Configuration Database" Step it takes over 10 hours to complete.  Then creating a web app takes just as long. and the sites are extreemply slow. 

Environment:

1) DB Server - SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2
    2) Webserver - to host Sharepoint 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2

The Servers are on the same network and running with lots of horsepower, disk and memory.  Are there any know issues with this and should we install Cummulative Update 3? Maybe that has a fix.  We exhausted all our options and need justification to apply the CU3 hotfix(s).

Thanks for your help.

• Moved by KJian_ Monday, September 13, 2010 6:51 AM (From:SQL Server Data Access)
    Friday, September 10, 2010 7:35 PM

Answers

• What happens if you create the database manually on SQL Server?  Is it just as slow?  Maybe instant-initialization is an option?  However I have not seen SharePoint take 10 hours to complete db creation.  Unless there was blocking activity on the server?  Maybe issue with disk sub-system?
    Friday, September 10, 2010 11:06 PM

All replies

• What happens if you create the database manually on SQL Server?  Is it just as slow?  Maybe instant-initialization is an option?  However I have not seen SharePoint take 10 hours to complete db creation.  Unless there was blocking activity on the server?  Maybe issue with disk sub-system?
    Friday, September 10, 2010 11:06 PM
  • I would start investigating your Database Server for more serious issues.  One common cause for poor database performance are disk issues as suggested.  You should should analyze you disks for fragmentation and defrag if necessary.  Fragmentation can drastically slow performance.  You should also perform a check disk.  Most Vendors such as Dell, HP, ect. provide system utilities for performing diagnostic testing of key system components.  You may want to run a disk diagnostic that would also check your RAID controller.

Dennis Bottjer | Follow Me: @dbottjer | Blog: Dennis Bottjer.com
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 5:57 AM