none
32-bit vista to 64-bit windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• can this be done?  I am running 32-bit vista with capability of 64-bit. can i purchase the update and get the 64 bit to work? Please i need a detailed response. not very familiar with this kind of stuff.  Thanks!
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:34 AM

Answers

• Yes, if your hardware is 64 bit capable.

32 bit Vista qualifies for the use of a Win7 upgrade license, but you'd have to do a "custom" (clean) install. (No 32 bit Microsoft OS can be upgraded in place to a 64 bit one.)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:44 AM

All replies

• Yes, if your hardware is 64 bit capable.

32 bit Vista qualifies for the use of a Win7 upgrade license, but you'd have to do a "custom" (clean) install. (No 32 bit Microsoft OS can be upgraded in place to a 64 bit one.)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:44 AM
  • Yes, it can be done using the upgrade Pack.  (That's what the 'update' you refer to is called.)

You need to first have your 32-bit Vista installed to the machine as a 'qualifying version'.  If it is not present then the new Upgrade install key won't be accepted.

To install windws 7 64-bit you nee to boot the machine from the windows 7 64-bit install disk, choose to install windows, and then select the 'Custom' install option.

You will then be prompted to select the partition to install Windows on.  It can be installed either to the same partition where your qualifying Vista install is located, or to a different partition of your choice (if such exists).

The original Vista install will be bundled into a WINDOWS.OLD folder from which you can recover any data you overlooked.  (You DID back your stuff up in preparation, as a safety precaution, didn't you???)

You can later remove that WINDOWS.OLD folder at your leisure, and recover the drive space it was occupying.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:47 AM
  • I have done this. 64bit Win7 is installed on a different partition, and I have dual boot with 32bit vista if I want to drop back for some reason - few to date. Had to reinstall everything. Both OS's share Music, Pictures, My Documents, etc folders on the data partition.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:24 PM
  • How do you rate the 64 bit 7 performance wise comparing to vista 32?

Did I just waste my money?   :)

Steve

Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:43 PM
  • I've alreay upgraded from Vista 32-bit to Win 7 32-bit. Am I now able to reinstall to go to the 64-bit version? I realise it would have to be a clean install but wonder if the upgrade install will only accept a lower version to start or if I can do this.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:01 AM