none
UEFI PXE boot always loops back to PXE RRS feed

• Question

• I don't see this on Legacy boot setup, but UEFI PXE has a problem with pc's, not always, but enough...wanting to boot back to IPV4 after first reboot, when the OS is installed.

It should, at this point, be rebooting and boot up to the desktop. I thought it was because I had both IPV4 and 6 enabled, but unchecking IPV6 didn't solve the issue. Right now, we have to sit and watch the deploy and press ESC to avoid booting back to PXE. Any ideas?

Thursday, November 2, 2017 8:27 PM

All replies

• If your boot order is set to PXE first then this is expected. Hasn't this happened before and your fix was to change the boot order and only do PXE when you select one time boot device?

As always a link to logs would be helpful.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 8:49 PM
  • With UEFI and Secure Boot ON, how do you set anything as priority? I know you can with Legacy, but Secure Boot ON eliminates everything bootable except with a one-time F12.
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:26 PM
  • Here is the summarized version of the whole shebang: http://vacuumbreather.com/index.php/blog/item/53-the-case-of-mysterious-mdt-boot-loop According to Michael Niehaus a minor update to MDT will be released soon that will address this issue (and a few others) based on the feedback from customers / product teams.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:50 PM
  • Thanks. What I am reading about this, here and elsewhere, pertains to USB PXE booting. I guess this would relate to IPV4 LAN booting as well? It just started happening lately, so I haven't gotten a sense of things like...this model only...this make only...

I look forward to an MDT update (hopefully not a whole new version requiring Deployment Share updates and the whole deal...but, whatever it takes I guess.

Friday, November 3, 2017 2:46 AM
  • Each MDT update requires deployment share update (because, among other things, the Scripts folder and Templates folder will be updated with updated versions). Regardless, you may want to try out the workaround for the time being - it may or may not help you. How is your BIOS configured? Windows Boot Manager first?

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, November 3, 2017 8:34 AM
  • That must be the part I'm missing. I need to look into seeing how to set Windows Boot Mgr first, above the LAN. I am not aware of how to set that, only in Legacy.
    Editing to make a correction... I know how to change the boot order in UEFI. I guess I don't know Windows Boot Mgr from UEFI SanDisk (HDD). Which should be top? On some computers I don't even see the HDD listed, only Windows Boot Manager and IPV4 (or 6 if not disabled).
    Friday, November 3, 2017 12:38 PM
  • One Dell shows: (items in order and checked)
    Windows Boot Manager
    Onboard NIC(IPV4)
    UEFI: SanDiskxxxx 256GB

Another is:
    Windows Boot Manager
    Onboard NIC(IPV4)

So that doesn't help me sort it out.

Friday, November 3, 2017 1:26 PM
  • Try to modify LTIApply script as outlined in the linked thread / my blog blog post.

Cheers,
    Anton

Friday, November 3, 2017 1:31 PM
  • I will be modifying the script as above. This will apply to issues booting from USB or from LAN? I stopped using USB several months ago when I initialized PXE/IPV4.
    Friday, November 3, 2017 4:13 PM
  • The issue appears to be caused by the way MDT writes boot loader entries into the system's firmware, so even though in the previous example the issue occured on USB boot, the workaround is likely to be applicable in your case as well.

Cheers,
    Anton

Friday, November 3, 2017 8:56 PM