Migration from Word 2003 to Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed an extensive template in Word 2003 that is used by over 100 users. The template has a wide variety of functionality, toolbars, dynamic menus, key binding, odbc to Oracle, com interface with FileNet, ..... The template is over 14M is size and has over 1,000 pages when printed.

I need to migrate this template functionality to Word 2010.

I have searched for books on Word 2010, but have not been able to find anything with that covers areas with in-depth vba content.
    All references will be greatly appreciated. Books, classes,web-sites, ....

Thanks,
    Tim

Tim
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:16 PM

Answers

• In Word 2010, the buttons from the toolbars will appear under the add-ins tab.  Apart from that, there is a reasonable chance that everything else will still work, but the only way to find out is to try it.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Tim_Shaf" wrote in message news:5241d9c5-53e1-4f14-94f5-17b0999dfe91@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have developed an extensive template in Word 2003 that is used by over 100 users. The template has a wide variety of functionality, toolbars, dynamic menus, key binding, odbc to Oracle, com interface with FileNet, ..... The template is over 14M is size and has over 1,000 pages when printed.

I have searched for books on Word 2010, but have not been able to find anything with that covers areas with in-depth vba content.

Thanks,
    Tim

-- Tim

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Tim_Shaf Monday, November 15, 2010 2:30 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:37 AM
  • This sounds promising. It will probably be January before I can start to work with Office 2010.

Any suggestions regards books, classes, websites that I can start studying. I have started viewing the videos on Channel 9, but it is more general for the Office suite. I am looking for detailed info for Word 2010.

Thanks,
    Tim

Tim
    • Marked as answer by Tim_Shaf Monday, November 22, 2010 5:21 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:29 PM
  • One item that might help you is the Compatibility Inspector which will look at the code in the existing template.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=23c8a7f6-88b3-48ef-9710-9742340562c0&displaylang=en

There is also a Video located at the link below that might help you out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee722033.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:58 PM

All replies

• In Word 2010, the buttons from the toolbars will appear under the add-ins tab.  Apart from that, there is a reasonable chance that everything else will still work, but the only way to find out is to try it.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Tim_Shaf" wrote in message news:5241d9c5-53e1-4f14-94f5-17b0999dfe91@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have developed an extensive template in Word 2003 that is used by over 100 users. The template has a wide variety of functionality, toolbars, dynamic menus, key binding, odbc to Oracle, com interface with FileNet, ..... The template is over 14M is size and has over 1,000 pages when printed.

Thanks,
    Tim

-- Tim

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Tim_Shaf Monday, November 15, 2010 2:30 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:37 AM
  • This sounds promising. It will probably be January before I can start to work with Office 2010.

Any suggestions regards books, classes, websites that I can start studying. I have started viewing the videos on Channel 9, but it is more general for the Office suite. I am looking for detailed info for Word 2010.

Thanks,
    Tim

Tim
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:29 PM
  • One item that might help you is the Compatibility Inspector which will look at the code in the existing template.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=23c8a7f6-88b3-48ef-9710-9742340562c0&displaylang=en

There is also a Video located at the link below that might help you out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee722033.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:58 PM