User Unable to Access Mailbox using OWA but works with Outlook - Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Getting the error message when trying to use OWA: SDServerErr;Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.StoragePermanentException 

Mailbox opens fine in Outlook.

Tried the following:

-used different browsers

-moved mailbox to a different DAG\Database

-toggled Outlook Web App off and on for the user in Exchange ECP 

-Did a get new-mailboxrepairrequest -detectonly and did not come up with any issues

-check permission in AD and inheritance appears to be working (although never actually did anything here)

User can not tell me when this first started happenning.  Trying to figure out a way to fix this without export to a pst and recreating the entire mailbox.

Thanks,

Kevin

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:28 PM

Answers

• The final fix for this OWA issue was using mfcmapi  to delete corrupt search folders in the mailbox.
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your detailed exchange version?

Have you made a migration for the problematic user recently?

Please refer to the below thread to double check you select "allow inheritable permissions " option:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/1b06e1e5-df84-4805-858d-422fbc4ea1f6/migration-issue-xowaerror-sdservererrmicrosoftexchangedatastoragestoragepermanentexception?forum=exchangesvrdeploy

Also run the below command to check the msExchVersion attribute :

Get-Mailbox UserName | format-list ExchangeVersion

Reagrds,                                      

David 

Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

Can you repair the mailbox once

And also move the mailbox to different database and check the access.

• Proposed as answer by krselva Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:20 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Hello David,

We migrated roughly 75,000 mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013.  This is the only mailbox having this issue.  User can't determine when this started happenning so we can't determine if this started after the migration which was several months ago.

The AD user is allowing inheritable permissions.  We even restored permissions to default to test before we reapplied the old ACL.

this is the result of:Get-Mailbox UserName | format-list ExchangeVersion

ExchangeVersion : 0.20 (15.0.0.0)

Kevin

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:07 PM
  • I did a new-mailboxrepairrequest -detectonly and it succeeded.

I have moved the mailbox and no success as per my post.

Kevin

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

Please ensure that OWA is enabled for the mailbox:

Set-CASMailbox adam@contoso.com -OWAEnabled $true

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:18 PM
  • OWA is enabled for the mailbox.  We had even toggled that setting off and back on. 

Gives a different error when we turned it off.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

It would be great if you share the error.

Mean time can you try with below steps

disable the mailbox

disable the AD account

enable AD account

Connect the disabled mailbox again to the user

than check OWA enabled or not 

Check from outlook web access URL for that user.

• Proposed as answer by krselva Monday, December 21, 2015 10:39 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

Try run a mailbox repair (New-MailboxRepairRequest) and repair all forms of corruption. I see you've done a detection only. Please try the below:

New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox ayla -CorruptionType ProvisionedFolder,SearchFolder,AggregateCounts,Folderview 

If this doesn't help then perhaps try recreate the mailbox. See the script here to do this and keep permissions and SMTP addresses etc: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Recreate-mailbox-on-084b663f.

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, December 18, 2015 4:50 PM
  • I have done the repair on the mailbox and it did not fix the problem.  I am reluctant to recreate the mailbox as we have custom attributes set and could cause issues with outlook cached addresses of other internal users (although this can be fixed by adding the old x500 address I believe).  Plan is place a call with Microsoft first in the new year.  Will update this thread if I come up with a fix.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 4:47 PM
  • Hi 

Do you find any abnormal event registered in CAS server for this user. Could you share that one.

Regards, Krselva. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if its helps you, and unmark the answers if it is not help you.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:54 PM
  • The final fix for this OWA issue was using mfcmapi  to delete corrupt search folders in the mailbox.
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Can you advise how you did this?
    Monday, January 29, 2018 12:03 PM