none
Windows Server 2012 stops responding RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2012 Standard Hyper-V VM running on a Dell R430 (same issue occurred when it was running on an R710).

I have seen this occur several times over the last few months with this particular server:

VM is a Domain Controller, users on this site have delayed logins (up to 15 mins), cannot print (this server is a print server) and I cannot RDP on to the server, although I can ping it fine. It's as though the services it runs have 'locked up'.

In the Hyper-V VM console, I can see the Log On window, but it doesn't respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del. A remote shutdown command doesn't work. I have to manually reset the VM every time this happens.

One common theme appears to be that the system event log stops logging events whenever this issue occurs. Normally, there will be events every few minutes in the system logs but this server stops logging them very suddenly until the VM is restarted. The application and security logs still seem to record events though.

I cannot see any warnings or errors around the time of the 'lock up'.

I'm tempted to replace the VM with an R2 box at this point, since I'm running out of ideas. I've actually seen this behavior on two other VMs in fact (both Hyper-V VMs running AD DS).

Any ideas please, before I replace it?

Monday, July 11, 2016 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Is your Hyper V up to date? Sorry to ask this question because I know in the past there were some freezing issues with ADDS and hyper V. Seems to me these problems resolved with some updates!

FrenchITGuy.com

Monday, July 11, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

If a rebooting can resolve this problem, disable any 3rd party process, including anti-virus program, and check the result.

Also, if the system is ran out of resources, similar problem such as no responding problem would happen. Make sure that enough resources has been assigned.

Undo the change which you have made before this problem happened if any.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is your Hyper V up to date? Sorry to ask this question because I know in the past there were some freezing issues with ADDS and hyper V. Seems to me these problems resolved with some updates!

FrenchITGuy.com

Monday, July 11, 2016 12:26 PM
  • How do I check whether Hyper-V is up to date?

The physical host is running 2012 R2 so I would expect it's up to date.

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:02 PM
  • When do you need to see what updates had been installed on your Hyper-V server, you can use this PowerShell cmdlet to list all the updates.

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_QuickFixEngineering | select description,hotfixid,installedon

Here is the list of important updates:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135020

Update the server (do your backup first):

Use SCONFIG then Download and install updates.

FrenchITGuy.com

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

If a rebooting can resolve this problem, disable any 3rd party process, including anti-virus program, and check the result.

Also, if the system is ran out of resources, similar problem such as no responding problem would happen. Make sure that enough resources has been assigned.

Undo the change which you have made before this problem happened if any.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:44 AM