none
How to find Multiplexor team members RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a server running 2016 core with 8 nics.  The nics have been teamed into 4 teams called:

MGMT
    VMTraffic
    Cluster_Heartbeat
    Live_Migration

When it comes time to assign IP addresses to each team I am unable to find any way to confirm which team is linked to which Multiplexor adapter.

Since I'm using core I go to SCONFIG option 8 and am greeted with this:

Index#  IP address      Description

17    169.254.6.126   Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapter
      18    10.16.12.202    Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver
      19    169.254.231.66  Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver #2
      20    169.254.52.72   Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver #3
      21    169.254.76.49   Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver #4

How can I determine with certainty that I am apply the correct nic to the correct Multiplexor adapter?  Specifically, how can I tell which of the multiplexor adapters above is VMTraffic, Cluster_Heartbeat, and Live_Migration?

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hello!

Before doing any configurations to your network adapters/teams, you can identify which network adapter is which by running the following PowerShell command:

Get-NetAdapter -Name "*"

This should show the name of the network adapter and the InterfaceDescription, as shown below:

Make note of this or take a screenshot (also good to document this), and you will know which is which.

If you have a network team, they will also be shown when running the Get-NetAdapter and also show similar results as a single network adapter.

Every network adapter has it's own index as you can see in your post, you have from Index 17 - 21.

When you use the PowerShell cmdlet Set-NetIPAddress you will have to specify the InterfaceIndex parameter.

Example

Set-NetIPAddress -InterfaceIndex 17 -IPAddress 192.168.0.1 -PrefixLength 24

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by dbutch1976 Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:17 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hello!

Before doing any configurations to your network adapters/teams, you can identify which network adapter is which by running the following PowerShell command:

Get-NetAdapter -Name "*"

This should show the name of the network adapter and the InterfaceDescription, as shown below:

Make note of this or take a screenshot (also good to document this), and you will know which is which.

If you have a network team, they will also be shown when running the Get-NetAdapter and also show similar results as a single network adapter.

Every network adapter has it's own index as you can see in your post, you have from Index 17 - 21.

When you use the PowerShell cmdlet Set-NetIPAddress you will have to specify the InterfaceIndex parameter.

Example

Set-NetIPAddress -InterfaceIndex 17 -IPAddress 192.168.0.1 -PrefixLength 24

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by dbutch1976 Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:17 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:54 AM
  • Hello dbutch1976,

Thank you for your question.

You can use this command "Get-NetLbfoTeam" in Powershell to see which adapter belongs to which team.

And here is a link for some other commands you may need: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/netlbfo/get-netlbfoteam?view=win10-ps 

Best Regards,

HK.Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:10 AM
  • Hello dbutch1976,

Have you tried this command "Get-NetLbfoTeam" in Powershell? It also works in my 2016 core.

And this link provides other commands related to NIC Teaming: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/netlbfo/get-netlbfoteam?view=win10-ps 

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 9:43 AM