none
Not to change the dates planned on a task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If i have a 2 day task with 16hours amidst set of tasks in a plan. I want to show that the resource assigned to this task has completed this work within 8 hours and has saved 8 hours of work. When i do so currently it will also shorten the duration of the task by 1 day, which i dont want, i want the duration to still show 2 days of work of which 1 day is complete.

I want to make the task 100% complete by not changing duration of 2 days and to show Actual work as 8 hours.

Thanks

mp

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Max,

Both options can be found in Tools, Options, Calculation tab

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Mac_cs Monday, November 14, 2011 8:48 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 8:28 AM

All replies

• Either set work to 8h and units to 50% then click 100% or in Resource or task usage view show actual work and enter 4h actual work for both days and delete teh 8h of remaining work.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:34 AM
  • No it still changes duration in "start" and "finish" fields.

I dont want to set 50% nor enter 4h for both days.

I want to enter 8 hours for a day and save the next day as is

• Edited by Mac_cs Friday, November 4, 2011 6:41 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi Max,

Set the task type to Fixed duration (after all, that is exactly what you want don't you?

Set to 100%

Now in Task Usage set work for the second day to 0

There you are.

Friday, November 4, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Hi Jan,

the moment i set to 100% as in your second step, itself the duration changes , which i dont want.

Am i doing anything wrong

thanks

mp

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Max,

If I may jump in here...for a point of clarification.  Do you want to show that the task was originally PLANNED for two days in duration and 16 hours of work, then the worker completed the task in 8 hours of work, and therefore show that they "saved" a day?  If this is the case then saving a baseline PRIOR to entering any actuals will show this. 

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Hi,

You are definitely not following the steps. Setting to 100% will never change the duration. Have another look and follow the steps in that order (Fixed duration, 100%, change actual work for day 2). Do not interpret that and f.i. change work beforehand or anything.

Greetings,

Saturday, November 5, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi Jan

May be i am not doing it right, but i still dont see that days being fixed. Any advise

Thanks

mp

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

Found it. It's about an option I never use. In 2010, File, Options, Advanced, down the page uncheck Move start of... and Move end of.. They cause the date shift when you set to 100%. Sorry I never ever used that option so I never saw the behaviour.

Greetings,

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Thanks Jan, this is what i needed, but unfortunately i am using 2007; any clue how we do it there. I dont want the "Start" and "finish" fields to change their dates if actual is lesser to the duration planned.

Thanks

mp

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi Max,

Both options can be found in Tools, Options, Calculation tab

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Mac_cs Monday, November 14, 2011 8:48 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Thanks Jan
    Monday, November 14, 2011 8:48 AM