Missing product key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I'm trying to install Windows 2012 Server RC.

I get to boot and start the installation, but it halts when it ask me for the product key.

Well, I don't have a product key nor can I figure out how to get one neither.

I got an email after I downloaded the .iso, but all it says is the regular stuff with links to forums and other resources.

Any help with getting this sorted out is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-------------------------------- - A Fabis Abstinentes ||| --------------------------------

Friday, June 1, 2012 10:59 AM

Answers

• Finally figured it out.

The first ISO file, let's call it ISO-1 I burned to a DVD.
    The second one, ISO-2 I loaded onto a USB stick.

All problems was caused by ISO-1.

When I booted from the USB to use ISO-2, I forgot to remove ISO-1 from the DVD drive. So when the installation started it used the files from the DVD not the USB which I booted from. Tried to boot from USB twice and it both times used the files on the DVD when setup started. Go figure...

But when I removed the DVD, it booted and loaded all files from the USB.

-------------------------------- - A Fabis Abstinentes ||| --------------------------------

• Proposed as answer by Tomás Mason Monday, June 4, 2012 8:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hoof Monday, June 4, 2012 8:38 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have seen this issue with Windows Server 8 Beta, you can try to reboot the computer to see whether you can resolve the issue. By the way, please check the hash of the ISO file to see whether it’s consistent.

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Saturday, June 2, 2012 12:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hoof Monday, June 4, 2012 7:37 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 2:25 PM
  • I got asked for a Product Key when I tried to upgrade Server 8 with the Windows 8 Release Candidate. I did not get asked for a product key whenh I tried the update with the Server 2012 Release Candidate ( of course, it refused to upgrade).

Are you doing the same thing I did?

Tom

Tomás Mason

Saturday, June 2, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Reboot did not help.

The hash is consistent, and I even downloaded the ISO once more. Same hash as the first one, and still not working.

The only difference I spotted was that on the loading screen it said Windows 8 Server on the first ISO, but the other one says Windows Server 2012.

Monday, June 4, 2012 7:33 AM
  • I'm not doing an upgrade, but a full installation.

Thanks anyway.

Monday, June 4, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Finally figured it out.

The first ISO file, let's call it ISO-1 I burned to a DVD.
    The second one, ISO-2 I loaded onto a USB stick.

All problems was caused by ISO-1.

When I booted from the USB to use ISO-2, I forgot to remove ISO-1 from the DVD drive. So when the installation started it used the files from the DVD not the USB which I booted from. Tried to boot from USB twice and it both times used the files on the DVD when setup started. Go figure...

But when I removed the DVD, it booted and loaded all files from the USB.

• Proposed as answer by Tomás Mason Monday, June 4, 2012 8:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hoof Monday, June 4, 2012 8:38 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 8:05 AM