Default user Profile RRS feed

• Question

• What is the recommended way to update the default user profile in Terminal Server 2008.  This is not the initial setup but after the server is up and running and you want to remove certain setting and for icons from the desktop.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:33 PM

Answers

• You can amend the Default Profile. But for existing users, as you said, you will have to delete the existing profile so that on the next logon a new one is created. I believe it is not the best way, as you may lose some data and settings which were stored in the old profile. Plus, if you decide to add something to the profile in the future you will have to go through the deletion and recreation process once again, which is waste of time.

Another way would be to use a Terminal Services profile, you can create a template profile and then populate this template to all users. Or you can create one mandatory Terminal Services profile for all users.

As I already said it all depends on your requirements, if you can tell what exactly you need to add to the profile we can think of the optimal solution.

сила в справедливости
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Hello,

You can remove access to these application by GPO. Otherwise a best practice for me is to use a mandatory, stripped profile, and then use Immidio Flex Profiles to save application and Windows specific settings.

Regards Robert

Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It depends on your needs. Common (optimal) way is to manage everything through folder redirection. You can customize Start Menu, Desktop etc.

In addition, folder redirection gives you a flexibility, for example you can assign different Desktop or Start Menu to the different groups of users.

сила в справедливости
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Yes we have redirected folders in place.  However how does one make changes to the settings in the profile once the terminal server has been installed.   The change would be intended to affect all users.  I would expect that if a new default profile was created with the settings and the old profile was deleted then on the next logon the settings would be in place.  Is there a better way to update the "All User" profile.  So my original question is on how to update the default profile so that you can put all the setting in place that you want to have "All users" to have on their profile.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:01 PM
  • You can amend the Default Profile. But for existing users, as you said, you will have to delete the existing profile so that on the next logon a new one is created. I believe it is not the best way, as you may lose some data and settings which were stored in the old profile. Plus, if you decide to add something to the profile in the future you will have to go through the deletion and recreation process once again, which is waste of time.

Another way would be to use a Terminal Services profile, you can create a template profile and then populate this template to all users. Or you can create one mandatory Terminal Services profile for all users.

As I already said it all depends on your requirements, if you can tell what exactly you need to add to the profile we can think of the optimal solution.

сила в справедливости
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I have applications that are installed by default like defender and media player that I would like to remove from the profile and also make changes to how an application starts. Essentially I would like to create a profile to have the application how I would like them to appear and have them go out to all users.  Also the issue is how to update the profiles after new applications and or changes are made.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Hello,

You can remove access to these application by GPO. Otherwise a best practice for me is to use a mandatory, stripped profile, and then use Immidio Flex Profiles to save application and Windows specific settings.

Regards Robert

Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Hi Priusms,

Has the issue got resolved? If you need any further assitance from us, please follow up here.

Thanks.

·         Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfd@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Hello,

I don't think this issue is resolve.  Unless the answer is to use mandatory profiles.   The issue is how does remove items from a profile that has been created on Windows 2008 Terminal Server without having to delete the original profile that was originally created.

Base on the responses able it does not seem that this can be done without deleting and having the profiles recreate when the user logs on.  This seems to be a bit of a waste and perhaps could lead to user files being deleted.

If you install terminal server orignally then users signon the profile is created and can not be updated to remove items unless you update the default profile and delete the original users' profile, is this correct?  This then leads be back to the original question on what's the best practice on updating/creating the default profile.  One the default or template profile is created the other profiles can be deleted to take on what's in the profile.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:45 AM
  • Hello,

From RDS technical side, I don’t have more suggestions currently. Please consider to use our forum on Group Policy and check if there are more ideas:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

Thanks.

·         Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfd@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:10 AM