Windows 7 extended support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have extended W7 support.

I want to ask about the option of "importing" extended support KBs into WSUS.

My WSUSes always syncs with MS catalog and I don't really want to connect to organizational UPSTREAM server for these KBs.

Probably they should come in form of executables that could be installed on WSUS and then available for approval.

Am I correct? I will just ask the files for "import"...

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Post some new progress.
    The latest 2020-02 monthly update KB4537820 for Windows 7 has been released in WSUS, so you can continue to provide services to Windows 7 clients that have completed ESU authorization through WSUS.

For prerequisites for this update, please refer to the updated knowledge base: "February 11, 2020—KB4537820 (Monthly Rollup)".

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:49 AM

All replies

• My WSUSes always syncs with MS catalog and I don't really want to connect to organizational UPSTREAM server for these KBs.

Probably they should come in form of executables that could be installed on WSUS and then available for approval.

Am I correct? I will just ask the files for "import"...

I haven't tested the extended support for Windows 7, so I can't give you an accurate explanation.

But as far as I know, the downstream WSUS server (Replica or Autonomous) cannot import updates through the Microsoft Update Catalog, so if multiple WSUS servers in your environment are upstream and downstream, as the upstream WSUS server first These Windows 7 extensions need to be included.

As for whether there are independent executables for WSUS, this may require follow-up observation.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 2:26 AM
  • I didn't think that it could be so "complex" question :).

I guess that the top wsus organizational level should receive some sort of file containing KBs for W7 under extended support.

Then they will inject the file in the top Upstream WSUS in order to propagate it to downstream servers.

Sure that we cannot use import feature of WSUS for importing from something beside from MS catalog.

I will check within our organization.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 12:50 PM
  • I guess that the top wsus organizational level should receive some sort of file containing KBs for W7 under extended support.

Then they will inject the file in the top Upstream WSUS in order to propagate it to downstream servers.

Sure that we cannot use import feature of WSUS for importing from something beside from MS catalog.

I will check within our organization.

Yes, I hold the same view as you.
    But this requires some hands-on verification, so I look forward to your follow-up progress.

Regards,
    Yic

Thursday, February 6, 2020 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

Post some new progress.
    The latest 2020-02 monthly update KB4537820 for Windows 7 has been released in WSUS, so you can continue to provide services to Windows 7 clients that have completed ESU authorization through WSUS.

For prerequisites for this update, please refer to the updated knowledge base: "February 11, 2020—KB4537820 (Monthly Rollup)".

Regards,
    Yic

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:49 AM