Specify a Workflow to only run Once? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Workflow, and I would like it to run only once, even if additional events fit the criteria. Is there a way to specify that a Workflow should only run once?
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:43 PM

Answers

• Out of curiosity; what would the use of such a workflow be?

I was wondering the same thing :)

Jesse, I assume you want a workflow that triggers for a workitem based on a set of criteria, and if that workitem would trigger the workflow again at some time in the future, the workflow wouldn't trigger a 2nd time for that workitem?

The only way I can think of doing this would be to extend the class concerned with a new property. Have the workflow populate that new property with some value and then adjust your workflow NOT to trigger if that property matches the value.

I use this method for triggering things such as notifications when a user updates an incident via email to the assigned to user, although I also apply a template to reset my custom property as I want the workflow to trigger again.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 12:08 AM

All replies

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:24 AM

I was wondering the same thing :)

Jesse, I assume you want a workflow that triggers for a workitem based on a set of criteria, and if that workitem would trigger the workflow again at some time in the future, the workflow wouldn't trigger a 2nd time for that workitem?

The only way I can think of doing this would be to extend the class concerned with a new property. Have the workflow populate that new property with some value and then adjust your workflow NOT to trigger if that property matches the value.

I use this method for triggering things such as notifications when a user updates an incident via email to the assigned to user, although I also apply a template to reset my custom property as I want the workflow to trigger again.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 12:08 AM
  • I would like the same functionality.  I have workflows that assigns incidents based on the creator of the ticket. 

I had to create a workflow for creation, that checks the Department of the Created by user.  However it only worked for Portal and Console-sourced tickets.  Where emails generated the ticket, the workflow was not working.  I believe that the department attribute is not being populated in time for the "Department" criteria to be met.  So I created a second workflow based on a change (the very population of "Department".)  This works, but we find that the workflow runs every time the Incident has any kind of update.

We want tickets to be automatically routed, but we also want tickets that are subsequently re-assigned, to stay assigned to the other agent - NOT to end up back in Agent 1's hands.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:07 AM
  • I need the same thing!  I have a wf set to run based on source and affect user. The template I apply changes the source, but if I leave the affected user the same. No matter how i update the ticket, the WF runs again.  .... :(
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:34 PM