Get Vista's Folder View To Stick RRS feed

• Question

• How do you get Vista's Folder View and column headers to stick? It seems to want to change randomly to Small, Medium or Large icons, and the column headers to "Date taken", "Tags", "Rating" etc... regardless of what file type is in there.

With Vista it seems that every time I change a folder to details view, the column headers are setup for Pictures and Videos i.e. "Date taken", "Tags", "Rating" etc...

How can I change it so that it sticks to "Details View", and whenever I select details view for a folder, it displays standard columns for documents such as "Name", "Date Modified", "Type", "Size"?

I have tried many of the fixes posted on various sites, but none fix the problem permanently.

If I don't find a fix soon, I am going to switch to a third party File Manager.

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:15 AM

All replies

• http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2006/12/06/apply-a-folder-view-to-all-folders-in-vista/

This what you are looking for?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:28 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. But I wish it was that simple.

I want the folder view settings to stick permanently.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:57 AM
  • It's drive me creazy too.

Maybe SP1 fix that sh.t.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:24 AM
  • Keith Miller MVP wrote:
    > As for over-zealous content-sniffing (forcing the Pictures template on a
    > folder), you can kill that with the following regedit. It will override
    > autosense & set the template for any folder without a saved view as 'All
    > Items'.
    >
    > Copy the text between the lines below into notepad & save as a .reg file.
    > Watch out for line wrap -- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Shell] is all one line,
    > there is a space between 'Local' and 'Settings'.
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
    Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\All Folders\Shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified"

> --------------------------------------------------
    >
    > Merging the .reg file will set the 'All Items' template for any folders
    > that
    > don't currently have a view saved with a different template. You can

clear
    > all saved views by deleting the
    >
    > "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local
    > Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags"
    >
    > key BEFORE merging the .reg file. If any folders open with a different
    > template after clearing the 'Bags' key & merging the .reg file, they most
    > likely have a template specified via their desktop.ini file.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->

Tested - works.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:09 PM
  • Unfortunately, unlike in XP none of the fixes that I have seen work for long with Vista.
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:54 AM
  •  

Right, Dypsis, I have done these suggestions maybe 75-100 times and they last a minute, or maybe they will last a day or two, but they always end up changing to something else without my instructing it to do so.

VisDUH totally sucks.

I have wasted 100s of hours trying to work with an OS that crashes while attempting to run the world, rather than letting me run the programs I need to run and do the work I need to do!

And here it is, all these months later and MS, et al, still don't have the idiot thing fixed. The hotfixes do not fix, the sp1 beta does not fix these or other issues either.

Anybody got an idea that actually works?????

Please?

We are about to die here........

Sunday, February 3, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Here it is Jun 7, 2008,

after a zillion hotfixes,

after the ballyhooed SP1

AND THE STUPID VIS-DUH STILL DOESN'T WORK RIGHT.

and now MS even screwed up XP folder view so it doesn't work right either.

COME ON, MIKROSLOP, MAKE IT WORK!!!!!!

David

Sunday, June 8, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Right, dypsis,

And now it's close to 2 years since VisDUH came out and they still make it impossible to look at our files and folders the way WE want to look at them. MSux execs must not even use their own OS, or surely they would have fixed this by now. Win 3.1 had easier, faster file management than Win Visduh.

Hey, MS, please, FIX THIS folder view mess, you have created!!!

BigD

Saturday, June 14, 2008 7:37 PM
  • I'm leery of the reg edit - has another solution been found yet?? I agree with all comments in this thread - this bug should be fixed by now - so very irritating and time consuming!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:25 PM
  • It's November 2009 and Microsoft STILL HASN'T FIXED THIS?!?!?

PLEASE! SOMEONE! ANYONE! I waste hours every week just trying to view my file information. There has GOT TO BE a fix for this by now!!!!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:04 AM
  • I did the BagsMRU, Shell "FolderType"="NotSpecified", et. al. registry fixes a long time ago and my Explorer views (which I set to short, wide windows and Details view by default) always open right and have been right for well over a year.  One or two of my apps' File-Open dialogs sometimes seem a bit squirrely, but I blame that on outdated apps that were originally built for XP.

I agree that if a registry change to fix the Explorer folder problems is available, then a Microsoft Update should have been released long ago to roll it out.

With the tweaks I've found, Windows Vista x64 is the best, most rock solid stable system I've ever used, bar none.

-Noel
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:25 AM
  • So here it is July, 2011, and these little registry fixes STILL DO NOT WORK. Vista sux still.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Hi dypsis, you said..

How can I change it so that it sticks to "Details View", and whenever I select details view for a folder, it displays standard columns for documents such as "Name", "Date Modified", "Type", "Size"?

I can't remember what the default was, but the maximum folder views before the first folder view scrolled out of the database was only 7000. So once you've set your folder to view as you like it you need to go back to it before it drops out of that list. and then goes back to the default view as set in your system.

From memory the default number is something ridiculously low like 200 or something. Even at the maximum 7000 I still find my folders going back to the global setting.

I hope Microsoft has bumped this number up in Win7. I haven't checked it as yet.

Back in my Amiga days, if you set a folder it stayed that way until you changed it again. Much better idea.

Regards, pkn2011

(btw - you need to set the Max folder views in the registry - I remember using FreshUI to do it here)

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:46 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:57 AM
  • and when I said,

So once you've set your folder to view as you like it you need to go back to it before it drops out of that list..

But even if you set your folders - you need to be careful when you close ANY folder window because whichever path it is; then THAT view is stored for the folder instead.  I tend to go back, back, back so I don't alter the folder's window accidentally.

pkn2011

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:47 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:17 AM
  • So here it is July, 2011, and these little registry fixes STILL DO NOT WORK. Vista sux still.

BigD, don't look now but the operating system released AFTER Vista is most of the way through its life.  It's not reasonable to expect usability improvements in an old, outdated OS.

Look into a product called ShellFolderFix.  I don't believe it works at all with Vista, but it can help you position your folders in Windows 7 just the way you want them.

Thank goodness for developers who augment or correct deficiencies in the Windows user interface.

-Noel

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Hi Noel, you said..

Look into a product called ShellFolderFix. I don't believe it works at all with Vista, but it can help you position your folders in Windows 7 just the way you want them.

Okay, thanks for the tip. I'm setting up 2 win7 systems now so could be quite helpful.. (as for the rest - somewhat dubious and spurious. IMO.. 8-)

Regards, pkn2011

Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:05 AM