none
Timescale settings reset when zooming RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, pre-emptive apology if this has already been answered - I did search but found nothing despite this being a simple problem.

Project 2010 Pro: One can set the timescale options by double left clicking the timescale or right click then 'timescale...'. After tinkering with it to get it the way I like, if I zoon in or out, the timescale changes. understandable to a certain degree since (e.g.) at max zoom-in, year will be meaningless and week will be insufficient & at max zoom-out you can't fit hours or days or even individual months in. The software seems to 'intelligently' decide the appropriate labelling for each zoom level... is this correct? If so, what's the opint of giving us the option of changing it only to see our changes instantly deleted when we inevitably zoom?

If NOT, how can we tweak it to set preferences (i.e. I never want to see thirds of months or quarters etc, and I only want to see graduations of one, i.e. one year, one month, one day, one hour, with as much labelling as can fit but isn't redundant relative to the other bars (on a three bar system))?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry, it's called Size now (indeed, in the Timescale window)

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Si Ded Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:50 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:41 PM

All replies

• You can't do this out of the box, but there are two work arounds:

1. Create a different View for each time scale. (I also create a different View just to hold printer settings which avoids a lot of formatting and re-formatting).
    2. Use VBA to adjust scales
    Sub LoopTimescale()
    ' Macro Macro1
    ' Macro Recorded Thu 8/11/12 by Rod Gill.
    Static Val As Integer
        Val = Val + 1
        If Val > 5 Then
            Val = 1
        End If
        Select Case Val
            Case 1       'Hourly
                TimescaleEdit MajorUnits:=0, MinorUnits:=2, MajorLabel:=0, MinorLabel:=10, MinorTicks:=True, _
                        Separator:=True, MajorUseFY:=True, MinorUseFY:=True, TierCount:=2
            Case 2   'Daily
                TimescaleEdit MajorUnits:=2, MinorUnits:=3, MajorLabel:=8, MinorLabel:=87, MinorCount:=1, _
                        MinorTicks:=True, Separator:=True, MajorUseFY:=True, MinorUseFY:=True, TierCount:=2
            Case 3   'Weekly
                TimescaleEdit MajorUnits:=3, MinorUnits:=4, MajorLabel:=13, MinorLabel:=20, MinorTicks:=True, _
            Case 4   'Monthly
                TimescaleEdit MajorUnits:=4, MinorUnits:=5, MajorLabel:=23, MinorLabel:=32, MinorTicks:=True, _
            Case 5   'Yearly
                TimescaleEdit MajorUnits:=5, MinorUnits:=6, MajorLabel:=30, MinorLabel:=34, MinorTicks:=True, _
            Case Else
        End Select
    End Sub

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Thanks Rod,

Quick one - are there a (relatively) limited number of timescales? A quick check shows 11 primary clicks from "full lock" left to right, to use a car term, which would be a manageable pain to go through, but I just checked by manually setting preferences for most zoomed out (hereafter: 1) then 2, then back to 1 and 1 was changed.

It fees like creating a different view for each scale makes sense that it would be possible, but why would my preferences no be being saved, or why are they being overwritten by default?

Thanks

Simon

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

I have never seen Timescale change spontaneously when I do not zoom. So the simple advice I give in my courses is FORGET ZOOM ALTOGETHER. You ar right, it often produces very ugly results. On the timescale window, to a certain extent, you can use Scale, which respects all other settings.

Greetings

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Hi Jan, sorry if this is really dumb, but i'm looking around & can't find anything that says 'scale' other than the 'timescale' dropdown which gives options of hours, quarter days, days, etc. Is this what you mean?

Thanks

Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, it's called Size now (indeed, in the Timescale window)

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Si Ded Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:50 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:41 PM
  • That is *MUCH* better. Thanks Jan.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:52 PM