none
SharePoint Online - Document Library - Email Alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a document library having many folders, sub-folders, files etc. Requirement is to send notification emails if someone do any changes to documents.

I know the option of email alerts. But if I need to modify existing alerts, I found that we can NOT modify all the fields from already created email notification alerts.

Can you please let me know what all options I have to implement it as per requirement?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi, Sanjay,

Are you using Alert Me function? You shall be able to edit all options only except the delivery method. Would you like elaborate a bit more about your requirements and the trouble you have?

For alerts in alert me, you can simply delete the old alert and create a new one with required change and same configuration in other options. 

All the highlighted options can be edited withe existing alerts.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I am referring to 'Alert Me' option here.

Let me tell you my scenario. I am from IT team and need to create alerts for other users. I can create new alerts and at that time I can set who should receive these emails in 'To' field.

Now suppose in future I need to modify their alerts, and if I click on existing alerts by my login, I can only see my alerts to modify. I also can't see 'To' field if I need to add some more users to existing alerts.

My users are not tech savvy. So, I can't tell them to go to 'Alert Me' option and do the changes by their login.

Please correct me if I am missing something here.

Thanks,

Sanjay

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Hi, Sanjay,

As an IT staff, i assume you have permission to manage a site. You can also view and cancel alerts for other people by using the User Alerts page. 

1. Go Site Settings.
    2. Under Site Administration, click User alerts.
    3. Click Display alerts for to select a user, and then click Update.
    4. Select the checkbox next to the alert you want to delete, and then click Delete Selected Alerts.
    5. Click OK.

Please have a check:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-view-or-delete-sharepoint-alerts-99dfb19c-9a90-4a8c-aba1-aa8c8afb0de2#ID0EAADAAA=Online

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Hi, Sanjay,

Have you tried the solution? Does it work in your end? We are looking forward to your update.

Best Regards

Jerry

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:57 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the steps you mentioned for 'User Alerts'. I want to open any existing alerts and want to check the settings (for example, 'Assigned To' field etc.) and need to modify the current settings(for example, add new email recipients) it. Can it be possible?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi, Sanjay,

Sorry for the confusion. I will explain a bit more about the issue. 

1. Administrators can delete but cannot edit alerts created by other users

2. Email recipients cannot be edited after creation. 

3. For your scenario, I think the best option is letting the administrator to do all the work. Just as you said, "I can't tell them to go to 'Alert Me' option and do the changes by their login" If it is not appropriate for the users to do any modification. Just keep them away from these settings. All the alerts are created/managed by the site collection administrator

Best Regards

Jerry

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Friday, July 26, 2019 8:03 AM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Hi, Sanjay,

After a few days, is there any update about your issue?

Best Regards

Jerry

Friday, July 26, 2019 8:03 AM