none
SC DPM 2012 r2 Console Crashes when attempting to Open the Management Tab after Update to RU2 RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we Updated our DPM server to DPM 2012 r2 ru2 from ru1.  and after that every time we open the management tab in the console it crashes with the following error

mmc has stopped working

Application Name: mmc
      Application Version: 4.2.1205.0
      Module Name: mmc.exe
      Module Version: 6.3.9600.16384
      Exception Name: System.NullReferenceException
      Exception Point: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.AgentManagement.ProductionServerController.UpdateProtectionStatus
      Other: AC213896
      OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.400.8
      Locale ID: 1033

at the same time the following event is logged in the application events

event ID 999

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError>
    <__System>
    <ID>19</ID>
    <Seq>0</Seq>
    <TimeCreated>6/23/2014 4:25:37 PM</TimeCreated>
    <Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source>
    <Line>163</Line>
    <HasError>True</HasError>
    </__System>
    <ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType>
    <ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage>
    <ExceptionDetails>
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.AgentManagement.ProductionServerController.UpdateProtectionStatus()
      at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.AgentManagement.ProductionServerController.OnUpdateProtectionStatus(Object unUsed)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
      at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
      at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
    </ExceptionDetails>
    </FatalServiceError>

We have updated the dpm agents on all of the servers that we back up by installing the update on the servers manually and according to the data in the DPM database it has acknowledged that they are indeed updated.

From what I can tell from the errors is the console is attempting to read the updateprotectionstatus from the database and it is not returning a value and thus causing it to crash.  but I have no clue as to where this might be in the database to even check if it simply missing from an update gone wrong.  

I did notice that the update attempted to install twice through windows update and failed.  The update does show as installed under installed updates in programs and features control panel

Any help on this would be appreciated as it does make it difficult to manage our dpm server

Monday, June 23, 2014 11:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

See if this is relevant.

1. Take a DPMDB backup.

2. Open SQL Management studio and connect to the DPM instance.

3. Expand the DPM database and go to the table tbl_AM_Server.

4. Edit the table, and under the "ServerName" column check for the DPM server name. It should be the FQDN. If it is the NetBIOS name then change it to the FQDN. 

5. Try re-opening the DPM console and navigate to the management tab and see if that works now.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:01 PM
  • I checked that column and it was already set for the dpm servers FQDN.  I've also installed the console on my desktop and I do get the same results as the console on the server

I did note that when attempting to ping the servers netbios or fqdn on it's self resolves to a link-local ipv6 address instead of a ipv4 address

Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

OK - That was the only condition that I could find that matched your error stack.  Please open a support ticket to have the crash fully investigated.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:35 PM
  • We decided that the best route was to re-install DPM 2012 r2 once that was done everything began to work fine.  While this is not the best solution for others due to the loss of the backup data
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:10 PM