none
Dpm Filter Bitman RRS feed

• Question

• We have Exchange 2010 and DPM 2010. We have started to run out of disk space on the C drive and have noticed that there is just over 40gb of space taken up by DpmFilterBitman files held within the Sytem Volume. Is there a way of removing these and is it safe to do so?
    Friday, March 2, 2012 12:54 PM

Answers

• PlanAndSimple, 

If the files are outdated and DPM is no longer used you can manual remove those files. Also please check the following. 

1) There is no DPM agent on the Exchnage server.  You can check through control panel

2) DPM filter is removed.  Open admin cmd prompt and type fltmc.  In your case you should not see a DpmFilter as seen below.

NOTE:  This is only for cases where DPM is no longer needed. If you are still using DPM to protected

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Spyce,

You should be able to safely remove any bitmaps that are older then your retention range.  You will need to give yourself permissions to the directory or you can open an admin command and traverse to the location.  Be careful to remove the correct files. I beleive that the if you remove active bitmaps that you will get a inconsistent replica and have to run another CC from the DPM server however; I cannot reproduce this to test. Thank you

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:53 PM

All replies

• Are there any experts out there capable of helping with this issue?
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Hi PlanAndSimple,

I have not run into this issue before. I am not familiar with DpmFilterBitman files. What is the path of these? I will do some checking and see if I can help.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Monday, March 12, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Really sorry for late reponse, been on annual leave.

The files are in the System Volumes on C Drive and can't access them unless I logon to machine locally. The last one created was month ago. We used to use DPM 2010 to backup our exchange locally but moved to an external company to provide back ups in Feb 2012 so internal backups were stopped. They use COMMVAULT. So I'm guessing they are a legacy from the old backups but not sure what to do with them.

Any help is appreciated.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:56 PM
  • PlanAndSimple,

The  DPMFilterBitman files are used to track block level changes.  These will correspond to keeping track of what was changed on the Exchange DB for DPM.  There should only be one DPMbitmap per DB.  Can you possible post what you see?  Thanks

To be clear, you see lots of dpmfltr{guid} files 

How many DB's on this server is DPM protecting?

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread. But i'm having the same issue. Exchange 2010 with DPM 2010. Only 1 mailbox database and 1 public store database We have close to 70GB's locked up in these files and the c:\ is running low. How do we safely get rid of these files ?Please see the screenshot below.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Spyce,

I cannot see the picture can you try uploading it again?  thank you

Andy

Friday, April 27, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Saturday, April 28, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Spyce,

Can you please check the dates of the files to see if the coincide with your retention ranges? 

Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Hi, The dates on my files do coincide with the old retention periods. We don't use DPM for exchange anymore. Any ideas on how to remove them or even if it is safe to do so?

Thanks for feedback.

Monday, April 30, 2012 11:20 AM
  • PlanAndSimple, 

If the files are outdated and DPM is no longer used you can manual remove those files. Also please check the following. 

1) There is no DPM agent on the Exchnage server.  You can check through control panel

2) DPM filter is removed.  Open admin cmd prompt and type fltmc.  In your case you should not see a DpmFilter as seen below.

NOTE:  This is only for cases where DPM is no longer needed. If you are still using DPM to protected

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Spyce,

Are you still using DPM for protection?  If so can you please see if the dates on the files match the retention settings that you have for DPM.  Thank you

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hi Andy, 

Sorry i did't receivce the notification for the replies. We are still using DPM, but we did have a issue a few weeks ago with loosing the DPM disk and having to setup the protection groups again. At that point and I did select the option to remove all data. From the number i files i can only pressume this issue must be preexsisting. We are only setting exchange to retain 2 weeks of data.

Safe to try and delete those files ? When I browse with windows explorer it does give me a permissions denied, But when using a app called treesize it shows me those files.

I'm not too concerned about retaining the data, It's more important to free up the space to prevent exchange shutting down.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Spyce,

You should be able to safely remove any bitmaps that are older then your retention range.  You will need to give yourself permissions to the directory or you can open an admin command and traverse to the location.  Be careful to remove the correct files. I beleive that the if you remove active bitmaps that you will get a inconsistent replica and have to run another CC from the DPM server however; I cannot reproduce this to test. Thank you

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Thanks Andy,

Getting some strange results. I have given myself permissions to the folder and when trying to delete the files. all appears to run through normally but the files dont get removed. It's says " are you sure you want to send to recycle bin" etc but the files just stay put. I have tried shift delete but nothing happens. I also tried cutting and pasting to a fodler on the desktop, the paste option is availible, but the files never get moved. I dont receive any permission denied messages.  Just nothign happens. I will carry on and let you know if I find anything. 

Thanks 

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Spyce,

Were you able to get through the permission issue?  Is the issue still occurring?  Thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:37 PM