Windows Ultimate x64 seldom blue screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have a blue screen issue. Ones in a while (every third day or so) my computer crashes (blue screen). When Windows is restarted I get a "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown with the option to let Windows check online for a solution, which does not work. I know this could be a driver issue, But how do I find out which driver?

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1053

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 7f
    BCP1: 0000000000000008
    BCP2: 0000000080050031
    BCP3: 00000000000006F8
    BCP4: FFFFF80002C9CEC0
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\101010-47923-01.dmp
    C:\Users\iom\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-91712-0.sysdata.xml

Sunday, October 10, 2010 10:17 AM

Answers

• I had already updated the network driver from the mother board provider (Gigabyte) homepage. After your post I downloaded an installed the latest Realtek driver (which were newer). Thereafter a thought the problem was solved, but last night the computer crashed again.

I then tried to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IPv4 according to someone else's post with the same problem:

"Click Start, and then click Control Panel.[*]Under Network and Internet, click View network status and tasks.[*]Click Change adapter settings.[*]Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.[*]In the This connection uses the following items list, double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.[*]Click Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK three times.[/LIST]it's been 1 week since i disabled TCP/IPv4 and i haven't had a single 0x7f BSOD since (knock on wood.) so thus far, it would seem the articles i linked above are correct and ZoneAlarm Extreme Security does cause the BSOD 0x7f error."

This made my NAS inaccessible...

I have now replaced ZA with Comodo Firewall and so far it works very well, but just a few hours has past. I'll get back with more info, or mark as answer in a few days.

Thanks!

ZoneAlarm free firewall caused my blue screens. After it was replaced with Comodo I have not had a single blue screen in a week.

Thanks Andre!

• Marked as answer by magoox Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:21 PM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:08 PM

All replies

• Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

0x00000008 , or Double Fault , indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

* A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault.
        * A hardware problem.

It may caused by ZoneAlarm, if you have it installed, update the network drivers first. When this doesn't fix it, remove ZoneAlarm.

The minidumps are not useful for UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP bug checks.

Configure your Windows to create a kernel dump [1] and upload the zipped dump (C:\Windows\memory.dmp) to your SkyDrive [2] and post a link here when the PC still crashes after removing ZoneAlarm and updating the drivers.

André

[1] http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/81867.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:15 AM
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Thanks! In fact, I recently installed ZoneAlarm.
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Have you updated the network driver? Is the crash gone?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 8:29 PM
  • I had already updated the network driver from the mother board provider (Gigabyte) homepage. After your post I downloaded an installed the latest Realtek driver (which were newer). Thereafter a thought the problem was solved, but last night the computer crashed again.

I then tried to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IPv4 according to someone else's post with the same problem:

"Click Start, and then click Control Panel.[*]Under Network and Internet, click View network status and tasks.[*]Click Change adapter settings.[*]Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.[*]In the This connection uses the following items list, double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.[*]Click Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK three times.[/LIST]it's been 1 week since i disabled TCP/IPv4 and i haven't had a single 0x7f BSOD since (knock on wood.) so thus far, it would seem the articles i linked above are correct and ZoneAlarm Extreme Security does cause the BSOD 0x7f error."

This made my NAS inaccessible...

I have now replaced ZA with Comodo Firewall and so far it works very well, but just a few hours has past. I'll get back with more info, or mark as answer in a few days.

Thanks!

ZoneAlarm free firewall caused my blue screens. After it was replaced with Comodo I have not had a single blue screen in a week.

Thanks Andre!

• Marked as answer by magoox Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:21 PM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:08 PM
  • I have a blue screen issue. Ones in a while (every third day or so) my computer crashes (blue screen). When Windows is restarted I get a "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown with the option to let Windows check online for a solution, which does not work. I know this could be a driver issue, But how do I find out which driver?

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1053

BCP2: 0000000080050031
    BCP4: FFFFF80002C9CEC0

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\101010-47923-01.dmp
    C:\Users\iom\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-91712-0.sysdata.xml

I am having a similar experience with Ultimate x64 with slightly different values:

BCP2: 0000000080050033
      BCP4: FFFFF80002C8FDA2

This is happening about once every 24 to 48 hours.
    I do not have ZoneAlarm installed.
    I began noticing this event after installing Apple iTunes 10.1.22 x64 version.
    Any hints or should I uninstall iTunes to see if this event goes away 
    (something that I don't want to do)??

Monday, October 11, 2010 2:41 PM
  • The fault in the original post I read, about disabling NetBIOS for IPv4, was due to Norton. Could that be something in your case? Have you updated your drivers?

Could it be a good idea to uninstall Itunes for a couple of days and see if the blue screens disappear?

Other that that my suggestion would be to listen to anything Andre might have to say.

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:35 PM
  • I am having a similar experience with Ultimate x64 with slightly different values:

BCP2: 0000000080050033
      BCP4: FFFFF80002C8FDA2

This is happening about once every 24 to 48 hours.
    I do not have ZoneAlarm installed.
    I began noticing this event after installing Apple iTunes 10.1.22 x64 version.
    Any hints or should I uninstall iTunes to see if this event goes away 
    (something that I don't want to do)??

Do what I told magoox. Configure your Windows to create a kernel dump. and upload the zipped dump.

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:40 PM
  • SOLUTION I FOUND IS: Uninstalled my anti-virus software (AVG 2011). Installed WSE (Windows security Essentials). Important result no more BSOD's, Internet Explorer works quicker & IIS7 now works properly.

I followed this up & have found that indeed vendor anti-viruses may cause this problem on win 7. It does not affect everyone - some sort of config/hardware or something fluke. But if you are sure your hardware is working fine then try my solution. It's free & has fixed numerous problems I have had with both my Desktop & Notebook running win 7.

Deek
    • Proposed as answer by McZigger Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:51 PM
  • The fault in the original post I read, about disabling NetBIOS for IPv4, was due to Norton. Could that be something in your case? Have you updated your drivers?
    Could it be a good idea to uninstall Itunes for a couple of days and see if the blue screens disappear?Other that that my suggestion would be to listen to anything Andre might have to say.

I have uninstalled everything "Apple" from my system and also updated BroadCom network adapter drivers and the BlueScreen continues.

After the last BlueScreen, I also uninstalled McAfee Internet Security Suite (including Virus Scanning) so I will
    wait to see what result that brings.

If the BlueScreens continue after this, I will produce the CrashDump and upload it (Thanks Andre).

Robert

• Proposed as answer by Grelber Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:40 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:49 PM
  • >Do what I told magoox. Configure your Windows to create a kernel dump. and upload the zipped dump.

What do you use for kernel dump analyses, Andre?

I am not averse to going through memory dumps to locate the program(s) that might be causing
    these "double faults".

Robert 

Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:54 PM
  • I'm using the Debugger:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:52 PM
    Could it be a good idea to uninstall Itunes for a couple of days and see if the blue screens disappear?Other that that my suggestion would be to listen to anything Andre might have to say.

I have uninstalled everything "Apple" from my system and also updated BroadCom network adapter drivers and the BlueScreen continues.

After the last BlueScreen, I also uninstalled McAfee Internet Security Suite (including Virus Scanning) so I will

If the BlueScreens continue after this, I will produce the CrashDump and upload it (Thanks Andre).

Robert

It's been about 72 hours since I uninstalled McAfee Internet Security Suite and I haven't had
    another BlueScreen so I would think it is safe to say that this "is the answer".

Robert

• Proposed as answer by Grelber Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:44 PM
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:44 PM
  • I had a look at the devtools link, Andre, and I decided that
    I am too old to learn how to debug programs that I haven't
    written :(

Thanks for your input!

Robert

Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:47 PM

Robert

It's been about 72 hours since I uninstalled McAfee Internet Security Suite and I haven't had
    another BlueScreen so I would think it is safe to say that this "is the answer".

Robert

In addition to uninstalling McAfee Internet Security Suite, I contacted McAfee (via their online chat support) and
    the support agent enrolled me in McAfee Total Protection 4.5 Beta

Since installing this software I have had no more problems with BlueScreens

Robert

• Proposed as answer by Grelber Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Hi, similar to the posts above I am dealing with a 7f BSOD.  The information is as follows:

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033

BCCode:    7f
      BCP1:    0000000000000008
      BCP2:    0000000080050033
      BCP3:    00000000000006F8
      BCP4:    FFFFF80002CA8656
      OS Version:    6_1_7601
      Service Pack:    1_0
      Product:    768_1

I don't have zone alarm, installed microsoft security essentials, performed a memory diagnostic (no issues), updated my ATI display driver, audio drivers, and network adapter drivers (atheros and realtek).  The problem occurs when I am transferring data over wireless between my laptop and my NAS (buffalo linkstation ls-chl) such as watching movies etc.  I also tried disabling netbios over tcp/ip and that disabled the NAS so I re-enabled it.  After doing all the above, the problem still persists.

I even re-installed windows 7 and problem still persists. 

I'm not sure how to upload my bsod dump file.  I'm sure that's what you'll need to see.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:33 AM
  • The dump file can be viewed here: https://cid-8b91e7e1df0161b9.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=8B91E7E1DF0161B9!103

Thanks!

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:12 AM