Windows 10 start up menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Just wondering if the bug with the freezing start up menu has been fixed with W10? I installed the W10 previously and I got this problem almost every day after installation. I did anything that I could find at the time on the web, however with no success, so I reverted back to W7 which is perfectly stable. I am getting messages everyday to install W10 and just I do not want the same experience as before as I need my machine to work reliably. Thank you for your time and attention.

Daniel H

Sunday, November 1, 2015 9:27 AM

Answers

• You may try the followings so that you won't get any pop up message to upgrade to Windows 10.

Uninstall KB 3035583.

Locate Windows\System32\GWX and rename the GWXUXWorker.exe and GWX.exe to .old.

If the above doesn't help then:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run dialog box.

2. In the Open field, type regedit.

3. Click OK.

4. Click Yes on the User Account Control (if prompted).

5. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gwx

6. Right click.

7. Click Modify.

8. In the Value data: field, dword:00000001.

9. Click OK.

10. Exit Registry Editor.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, November 1, 2015 10:37 AM
  • There have been many fixes in updates since Windows 10 was released three months ago. However without knowing the exact reason your issue occurred I cannot see if that is resolved. Do you have any further information on the issue you had? any related threads with perhaps people that looked like they had the same issue?

So depending on what hardware your system is and if any updates drivers have been released (if that was part of the issue) it is difficult to say with any confidence if your issues have been resolved, but I would say many issues start menu related have been resolved since release.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 12:02 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

In fact, Windows 10 has no this bug. I suspect there is something wrong with your installation.

You could use the Media Creation Tool to perform the Windows 10 upgrade process again to experience Windows 10:

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If any issue about the Windows 10, reply here. We would try our best to help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try to re-register Start Menu and see if that helps:

http://www.kapilarya.com/re-register-start-menu-windows-10

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Sunday, November 1, 2015 10:15 AM
  • You may try the followings so that you won't get any pop up message to upgrade to Windows 10.

Uninstall KB 3035583.

Locate Windows\System32\GWX and rename the GWXUXWorker.exe and GWX.exe to .old.

If the above doesn't help then:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run dialog box.

2. In the Open field, type regedit.

3. Click OK.

4. Click Yes on the User Account Control (if prompted).

5. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gwx

6. Right click.

7. Click Modify.

8. In the Value data: field, dword:00000001.

9. Click OK.

10. Exit Registry Editor.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, November 1, 2015 10:37 AM
  • There have been many fixes in updates since Windows 10 was released three months ago. However without knowing the exact reason your issue occurred I cannot see if that is resolved. Do you have any further information on the issue you had? any related threads with perhaps people that looked like they had the same issue?

So depending on what hardware your system is and if any updates drivers have been released (if that was part of the issue) it is difficult to say with any confidence if your issues have been resolved, but I would say many issues start menu related have been resolved since release.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 12:02 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

In fact, Windows 10 has no this bug. I suspect there is something wrong with your installation.

You could use the Media Creation Tool to perform the Windows 10 upgrade process again to experience Windows 10:

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If any issue about the Windows 10, reply here. We would try our best to help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:41 AM
  • You could try disabling web search in the start menu:  http://www.howtogeek.com/224159/how-to-disable-bing-in-the-windows-10-start-menu/

• Edited by JS2010 Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:24 PM