Can the content of a "Inbox Box Content Control" (field with drop-down list) from, for example, excel be filled? RRS feed

• Question

• L.S.,

In order to achieve operational efficiency, we have created Word templates for different forms that are commonly used. One field we use a lot is a choice field with all the different agreements / contracts (> 75).

Now they are filled from the functionality of the elective box.

Contracts are subject to change. As soon as a mutation finds placement, I now see no other option than adjusting 1 field to it and copying more times to other templates where this field appears 1 or more times and removing the old fields. We're not happy about that ...;)

A solution seems that a field with a selection list refers to another document (possibly Excel) in which the summary of contracts is kept. The fields are therefore always up to date. Is this possible?

Curious about the comments.
    Monday, June 26, 2017 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Briel,

Generally, we can create the drop down list in Word. But the list items are usually text for selection. We cannot change the drop-down list items to the linked items from Excel or other documents with build-in settings.

Referring to the following third-party article:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/how-do-i/how-do-i-dynamically-fill-microsoft-word-fields-using-access-data/

Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

It seems that some Macro codes can do the dynamic Word fields filling. I am not sure if that is what you want. Just sharing the article for your reference. If you want to do further confirmation if VBA codes can achieve you goal, you can ask a question in Word for developers forum for more suggestions:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=worddev

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:18 AM