SharePoint 2007 - Site mysteriously inherits from parent (after inheritance is already broken) RRS feed

• Question

• This is the strangest thing I've ever seen.  I have a SharePoint 2007 team site which has it's own unique permissions, and I am the only person with Full Control on the site, all other users are either read, append or contributor.

A user reported to me today that they no longer had access to the site, I checked the site level permissions and saw that the permissions were no longer unique, but were inheriting from the parent site.  I know for sure I did not do this, I've been administering our SharePoint environments for the past 7 years, and was nowhere near the site within the the past couple weeks.  Nobody else would have rights to change the permissions to re-inherit from it's parent site.

What on earth could have caused this?  I have no idea on where to start looking, or what to even search for to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Any help would be most appreciated! 

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:32 PM

All replies

• If site collection auditing didn't turn on already then it is difficult to say what is going on. Suggested to turn on site collection auditing - Link

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Here's the strange thing though, nobody has full control permissions on the site.  Without that, how could those settings change?
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:32 PM