none
ForeFront Identity Manager 2010(FIM) Instalation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We have planned to install FIM in our environment..

I have done google found some of the below things

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg637905(v=ws.10)

but i have some query can we use sharepoint,sql and exchange from another servers to install fim.

What i mean to say is sql,SharePoint and Exchange are installed in different server's.

Please do me some help...

Sampath.Kotha

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can have those on separate servers but the FIM Portal and Service might need to be installed on the SharePoint server as the installation deploys a WSP.

HTH,

Sami

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hi Smapath.Kotha,

You can do that. Just need to make sure you must have enough FIM components before deploying specific solution based on FIM technologies. I basically means if you are installing from scratch for Self-Service Password Reset feature, you must have at least FIM Portal, FIM Service, FIM Synchronization, FIM Password Reset Portal and FIM Password Registration Portal installed whether in a same server or different servers.

Ping me via thuan@outlook.com if you need help.

Regards,
    -T.s

Thuan Soldier
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can have those on separate servers but the FIM Portal and Service might need to be installed on the SharePoint server as the installation deploys a WSP.

HTH,

Sami

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hi Smapath.Kotha,

You can do that. Just need to make sure you must have enough FIM components before deploying specific solution based on FIM technologies. I basically means if you are installing from scratch for Self-Service Password Reset feature, you must have at least FIM Portal, FIM Service, FIM Synchronization, FIM Password Reset Portal and FIM Password Registration Portal installed whether in a same server or different servers.

Ping me via thuan@outlook.com if you need help.

Regards,
    -T.s

Thuan Soldier

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Hi Thuan,

Thank you for your update,

I have installed SharePoint in one server and SQL in other front end server, We have used exchange from our production server.

But while installing FIM in SharePoint server it is asked to install service manager 2010 sp1+cu3, So i have installed service manager also

but in the configuration of service manager it is asking to register with DATA WAREHOUSE...

But while configuring it is asking for data ware house server.. Please suggest me is dataware house is prerequisites for FIM.

Thank you again for your support.

Regards,

Sampath.Kotha

Sampath.Kotha

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:05 AM
  • The Service manager pieces are for the FIM Reporting installation. You should install the synchronization service and portal before you install FIM Reporting.

These links might help:

http://bloggingaccident.com/content/some_notes_on_installing_fim_reporting

http://www.wapshere.com/missmiis/installing-reporting-for-fim-r2

Thanks,

Sami

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Actually you don't have to include DATAWAREHOUSE component in FIM deployment as my case which doesn't include. You can install Microsoft System Center Service Manager 2010 SP1 (remember installing 2 Cumulative Updates) without the need of DATAWAREHOUSE.

-T.s

Thuan Soldier

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Thank you for quick reply,

You mean that we need to install CU1 and CU2?

Sampath 

Sampath.Kotha

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:42 PM
  • You ONLY need Service Manager if you plan to deploy FIM reporting services. if you dont - skip it completely.
    Monday, August 20, 2012 2:01 PM
  • @4c74356b41: You will get asked to enter FIM Service Management server, if you don't install SCSM, how can you pass this requirement when installing FIM portal even you need only FIM Password Reset Portal and FIM Password Registration Portal, you still have to install FIM Portal.

@Sampath: Yes, you have to install those CUs.

-T.s

Thuan Soldier

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:18 PM
  •  

taken from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh322891(v=ws.10)

only valid if you check in FIM Reporting Service box like here

if you choose to install Portal + Service + SSPR, or only Portal, or Service or any combination of those WITHOUT reporting service you WON'T be asked for reporting service management server, obviously.

I have a fim test lab set up this way. no reporting, no SCSM.

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:45 PM
  • I'm wondering if in the real-world environment like Sampth's, you don't have FIM Service with FIM Synchronization Service, how can you synchronize user profiles from Active Directory to FIM profile database :-). FIM Service is not just used for reporting functionality. It serves for some web services as well as a part of a synchronization.

-T.s

Thuan Soldier

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:02 PM
  • I believe you got me wrong again or I'm bad at phrasing... only if you need FIM Reporting you are going to be prompted to point to SCSM server. I don't know how to rephrase it so I sound clear. You can install Fim Service, Fim Portal, Fim PasswordReset and Fim PasswordRegistration without SCSM. (And Fim Synch Service, obviously).

I have to repeat it again. Only FIM Reporting needs SCSM. Everything else works fine without SCSM.

• Edited by 4c74356b41MVP Monday, August 20, 2012 6:37 PM clarifying
    Monday, August 20, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Microsoft has an article about the FIM topology, this shows you can install the FIM components on different servers, but keep in mind every FIM component on each server has its own server license.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff400273(v=ws.10).aspx

Need realtime FIM synchronization and advanced reporting? check out the new http://www.imsequencer.com that supports FIM 2010, Omada Identity Manager, SQL, File, AD or Powershell real time synchronization!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Hi 4c74356b41,

Well, I'm not going to have more debates with you :-). Forefront Identity Manager states obviously its name to tell people what it should be used >>> Identity Management. As if you install Forefront Identity Manager without FIM Service, what would you do after the installation? Would you want to synchronize user profiles from Active Directory or external directory repositories to FIM profile database first? Unless, Forefront Identity Manager is useless.

If you don't have FIM Service installed, you *cannot* perform a two-way synchronization so there will be no use profile available in FIM profile database. When not having user profiles synchronized to FIM profile database, what should you do after that? Deploy Self-Service Password Reset functionality without the need of synchronized user profiles???

Sampath has asked about FIM 2010 installation. I just recommended in real-world business context which require you having FIM Service installed in order to synchronize (along with FIM Synchronization service) user profile.

Hope you understand my point of view.

Regards,
    -T.s

Thuan Soldier

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:52 AM
  • ok, last try.

Only FIM Reporting needs SCSM

You _CAN_ install Fim Service _WITHOUT_ Fim Reporting.

You can install Fim Service, Fim Portal, Fim PasswordReset, Fim PasswordRegistration and Fim Synch Service without SCSM.

read this slowly, line by line.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi Team,

Thnak you all for your support,

Thank you Thuan...

I have configured FIM with out reporting serivces, now portal is working with out any issues.

but the Sync from AD to FIM is not configured, It is really confusing please some one give me some suggetinos.

Sampath.Kotha

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:47 PM
  • i guess you should start a new topic on that issue, but there is an easy way, try quick deployment scripts in fim synch service folder. you can search on how-to do it. my advice is to figure the way fim works, thou.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:59 PM
  • You must install FIM Service before executing FIM Synchronization service in order to synchronize user profiles from Active Directory to FIM profile database through the management agent for Active Directory Domain Service. Check it out: http://thuansoldier.net/?p=2426

Before installing FIM Service, you must install SCSM 2010 SP1 and 2 Cumulative Updates :-) (You don't need to install FIM Reporting component). If you have noticed my previous replies, you may understand what I was talking about.

Regards,
    -T.s

Thuan Soldier

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Hello,

please, can i to install FIM reporting without FIM Portal?? or FIM Portal is a pre-requisite to install FIM Reporting?  thank you for your apply.

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:11 PM