none
Exchange 2013 and Office 365 Hybrid distribution Group

Question

• Hi,

Ive succesfully created a Office 365 Hybrid with our on Prem exchange 2013 with the latest CU. all groups and mailboxes have synced correctly. Mail flow is fine.

We recently created a distribution group in Office 365 and the mail flow internal seems to be fine. However from external I keep getting an NDR "The email address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk."

Office 365 and Exchange 2013 is still in hybrid so no MX record cut overs.

I've successfully set the delivery management options to internal and external organisations on the distribution group. However I still get the same error. 

Am I missing something else.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

It’s recommended to send the message via OWA and type the recipient address manually and check the results.

Do you mean your MX records still point to your on-premise Exchange server?

We can also check if we can send messages from on-premise mailbox to this group.

The issue could be caused by the ad object of this group didn’t sync to on-premise and the MX point to, so it cannot found the object.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 1, 2017 9:55 AM
  • If you created the distribution group in Exchange Online, remove it, and then create it in on-premises Exchange.  Objects you want to use both on-premises and in Exchange Online must be created in on-premises Exchange.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:15 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. The actuall work around this is to set the emails to be sent to *.onmicrosoft.com and it works then.

The distribution group was created on Exchange online and not on-prem. However we will be doing a full cutover to Office 365 and changing the MX record to point to Office 365 will resolve this.

Thanks again guys.

Monday, December 4, 2017 4:09 AM
  • Thanks for your response and glad to hear u have found the work around. Please help to mark as answer and it'll be helpful for others.

Thanks for your time again.

Regards,

Jason Chao

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:26 AM
  • Any updates?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:02 AM