Group Policy Printers - 0x8000ffff catastrophic failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have a x64 Windows 2008 server running Print Services.  I have a variety of printers installed and being deployed to XP workstations using computer settings in a GPO.  All of the printers deploy OK except for one HP Color LaserJet 3800n.  I have the x86 and x64 drivers installed, I have the Print Processor set to WinPrint.

On the workstation, I see this in the logs:
    Event ID 4098
    Source: Group Policy Printers
    Group policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x8000ffff catastrophic failure' This error was suppressed.

User settings are disabled on the GPO, and I have tried reinstalling the printer and drivers.  Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the Event ID 4098 is received on the XP-based machine.

When using GPP with computer policy it uses machine account. We need to add "Domain Computers" to the share and NTFS permissions with Read Access.

Hope this helps.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, August 3, 2009 1:04 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the Event ID 4098 is received on the XP-based machine.

When using GPP with computer policy it uses machine account. We need to add "Domain Computers" to the share and NTFS permissions with Read Access.

Hope this helps.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, August 3, 2009 1:04 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Are you referring to the share where the printer drivers are located, or the printer itself?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Hi KMerenda,

Thanks for the update.

It should be the printer itself. Please check it.

Thanks,

Miles
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:54 AM
  • I am also getting this error.

I was using group policy preferences to push out the printer.

I found that I had this issue when I had the box ticked "Run in logged-on user's security context". Once I unticked this box all worked OK.

This is strange because I am also performing Item-level targeting to a security group and this all works OK. I thought the purpose of "Run in logged-on user's security context" was to allow stuff like security group item-level targeting to work but not in this case.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:43 AM