Exchange System Attendant keeps Shuting down on Exchange 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having a problem for the last couple of months.  My Exchange keeps shutting down on it's own for no reason.  When I reboot the system  I looking at the services under Microsoft Exchange System Attendant and it keeps saying starting not started.  I have to reboot my system upwards of 10 times to finally get the System Attendant to start.  Has anyone every had this problem or does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?  I have made no changes to the server.  Exchange is on a member server, not a DC.

Thank you in advance for your help

Greg Smith
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

Thanks for the update.

The NIC I meat is the network status. From my experience, the System Attendent service might be failed to startup due to network card disabling or the incorrect settings; sometimes the Wins server enabled on DC servers might be cause.  

From the information provided, there might be AD connection related issue. We need to run DCDiag on the DC server listed in the error message to see if there are any connection errors from the DC to the FSMO role holder.

Since it needs diagnosing logs or more detailed information which is beyond what we can do in the forum as the nature of forum support. I'd like to recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Just for your reference, we may try to troubleshoot this issue by forcing Exchange to user the Default-First-Site-Name to look for DC by setting registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\SiteName - -

String value with name : SiteName

Value : Default-First-Site-Name

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, January 23, 2012 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

I’d suggest you verify the NIC and antivirus application status, make sure the NIC is start up and the antivirus application has excluded the mailbox database.

If the issue continues, please verify the application event log or try to restart the service and then verify the event log. Is there any error or warning about MSExchangeSA or Service Control Manager?

Just a reminder, you might need to increase the log level first.

Thanks.

Fiona Liao

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Hi Fiona,

Thank you for the quick response.  I do have a question for you.  What did you mean by make sureh the NIC is start up?  I did change the antivirus that we have ESET, to not do any scanning of the mailbox database.

The only error message that I am seeing on a very consistent basis is LDAP Bind was unsuccesful on directory (our domain controller) for distinguished name ". Directory returned error:[0x51] Server down.  Our domain controller is not down.    The LDAP message I get constantly during the day.  Here are a couple more that I received early this morning:

Process MAD.EXE (PID=3588).  All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding (our domain controller).

Process MAD.EXE (PID=3588).  All Global Catalog Servers in use are not responding (our domain controller).

I know the MAD.EXE is the Exchange System Attendant that stops and does not want to respond. 

If there is anything else I should try, please let me know.

Thank you,

Greg Smith

Greg Smith
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Thanks for the update.

The NIC I meat is the network status. From my experience, the System Attendent service might be failed to startup due to network card disabling or the incorrect settings; sometimes the Wins server enabled on DC servers might be cause.  

From the information provided, there might be AD connection related issue. We need to run DCDiag on the DC server listed in the error message to see if there are any connection errors from the DC to the FSMO role holder.

Since it needs diagnosing logs or more detailed information which is beyond what we can do in the forum as the nature of forum support. I'd like to recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Just for your reference, we may try to troubleshoot this issue by forcing Exchange to user the Default-First-Site-Name to look for DC by setting registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\SiteName - -

String value with name : SiteName

Value : Default-First-Site-Name

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona Liao

• Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, January 23, 2012 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:53 AM
  • If no more questins on this thread, I will mark this as answered at thia time. Your understanding would be appreciated.

Fiona Liao

Monday, January 23, 2012 6:17 AM