none
Exchange server 2013 standard cannot block user & group send email to external organization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone, 

Currently, i am using exchange server 2013 Standard Edition with DAG configuration. But i was try to block some clients to send email to external organization. I have created rule in mail flow for block user and group send email out organization. but it was fail (user still send email to outsite organization). anyway, i have tested in my lab environment  with exchange 2013 enterprise edition that it is work fine with the same configuration on standard edition. 

so, anyone know this situation? Does it is come from the license between standard and enterprise edition exchange 2013?

Thank you with best wish,

Mr. Sokhom  

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:48 AM

All replies

• You are welcome to evaluate which CAL you should have.

https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/microsoft-exchange-server-licensing-licensing-overview

To my knowledge the only thing the server license restricts is the number of databases that can be concurrently mounted.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:36 PM
  • I still don't catch your meaning. You mean ,this problem can be license CAL and i need to add more of license CAL right? 

And for my Exchange Server right now is standard edition. If i want to restrict mailflow user & Group send email out to external organization, which license CAL should i need to add?

Thank for your respond. 

Mr.Sokhom

Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:56 AM
  • Nothing license-wise causes what you say you're observing, so I can only assume that the rule isn't properly defined.  Since you gave us no details whatsoever, nobody can help you with it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

If that two transport rules are exactly same, then it should be related to license:

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Lynn-Li, but CALs don't dictate to Exchange what functions you can use, do they?

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:13 PM
  • Exactly, for the rule that i set on the transport rules are the same. It is working only on enterprise exchange server. And standard exchange is not working. 

That why i don't know exactly, what is the root cause? 

Here is my rule,

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Lynn-Li, but CALs don't dictate to Exchange what functions you can use, do they?

Sure. It's for user or device.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 2:09 AM
  • I were apply to group and user only! 
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem: a rule using the 'inside/outside the organisation doesn't fire'. If the symptoms are the same as mine then if you change your test rule to 'inside the organisation' then it will block both internal and external mail (you may want to try this in test mode!).

I posted about my error here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d409c3d-c9a1-4375-ae3b-ceff0103f05a/restrict-external-mail-transport-rule-misfire?forum=exchangesvrsecuremessaging

I haven't tested on Enterprise because we don't have it, but I'd be astonished if the ability to tell 'inside' from 'outside' was license dependant.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:42 AM