none
DNS won't connect to forwarder, Get Green check and says ok but can not resolve FQDN RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Forest on a different Vlan. I have created a firewall rule that allows all traffic from the Vlan to access one ip 10.0.0.XX I can ping this address and I thought I was having a firewall rule issue. I tried just browsing to the ip and it worked. I tried it from the IP back to my new DC and it also worked. At this point I'm not positive it is a Firewall issue because everything else works across it. Is there a new security setting or something that I need to change to get to private servers to connect to each other to pass DNS.

The reason this is necessary is I need to create a trust between the two domains but I can not resolve the DNS name of the domain to the wizard halts.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 12:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you created a "forward lookup zone" in both environment to point to each other?

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:14 AM
  • I had not. I tried this and I am able to setup my trust now which is my end goal so thanks. But when I specify the ip in DNS as a forwarder so it can resolve hostname on the other networks it still says it can not resolve the FQDN.

I feel like if it let it go and just be happy I was able to get my trust working that it is going to bite me later.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:40 PM
  • Hi SGTWTF22

>>But when I specify the ip in DNS as a forwarder so it can resolve hostname on the other networks it still says it can not resolve the FQDN.

You may turn on exhaustive debugging mode of NSlookup, this will display detailed information of name resolving process:

>NSlookup

>set d2

>[FQDN which you want to resolve]

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Hi SGTWTF22

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 3, 2017 6:36 AM