none
Unattend.xml settings contained within a revised image RRS feed

• Question

• OK, just a question about revising a custom OS install image with a "revised" version 2 if you like. So say I have an image called Image1_March_2015. I have some small settings in there (BGInfo, Windows updates, etc). I apply that image to a VM in order to revise it to a new image called Image1_April_2015. Now, when I apply Image1_March_2015 it obviously gets settings applied from the unattend.xml - is this a real problem going forward? How do you guys deal with this dilemma? Do you revert back to a vanilla unattend.xml temporarily?

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:57 AM

All replies

• You are limited in the number of times you can sysprep the image.  The unattend won't be a real issue.  You will want to open and validate it after you change the image though.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:02 AM
  • You are limited in the number of times you can sysprep the image.  The unattend won't be a real issue.  You will want to open and validate it after you change the image though.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

What's the limit?

What is best practice method?

• Edited by edgar_davids Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:24 AM another question
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:18 AM
  • I believe the limit is 3.

Build your reference image on a VM, but add a task to suspend the sequence. While it's suspended, you can make your changes, patches, etc. Shutdown and make a snapshot of the VM. Boot it back up and then double click on the "Resume Task Sequence" shortcut on the desktop.

Then when you need to update or make changes to your image you can just apply the snapshot, make your changes, shutdown and make another snapshot. Using this method you never have to deal with sysprep limits.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Thanks Dan_Vega. So how would this sound?

1. Create VM for an OS
    2. Install updates/minor configurations
    3. Shutdown/Take Snapshot/Power up VM
    4. Connect to the MDT Deployment share from the built OS and kick off 'LiteTouch.vbs'
    5. Capture Task to capture built OS
    6. ***eg; 6 months later*** - time to refine image
    7. Revert to snapshot
    8. Install updates/minor UPDATED configurations
    9. Shutdown/Take Snapshot/Power up VM
    10. Connect to the MDT Deployment share from the built OS and kick off 'LiteTouch.vbs'
    11. Capture Task to capture the REFINED built OS
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:56 AM
  • You could do that. If you look at my task sequence I posted, that is the sequence that builds my reference image. I have a separate "Admin" deployment share. In the customsettings.ini of my Admin share I have these settings added (these aren't all my settings):

DoCapture=YES
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
    ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN
    ApplyGPOPack=NO
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=YES

What this accomplishes is that it will sysprep, capture and shutdown the VM when it's done. Basically I've made it so everything is automated. About the only thing I do manually is patch the OS and I've set some policies while the sequence is suspended.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Oh, also I'd recommend doing at least quarterly updates or making updates when a Service Pack or other big update comes out. Better to have that included in your image than have Windows Update have to run for a while installing updates after your deploy your image.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:27 PM