none
Hyper-V 2012 to 2012 R2 cluster upgrade & backup with DPM RRS feed

• Question

• I will be upgrading our 2012 RTM Hyper-V Cluster to 2012 R2 on Thursday.  This means creating a new cluster and using the copy cluster roles wizard to move all roles to the new cluster as we are using a SAN and CSVs.  We are currently backing up our 2012 Hyper-V cluster with DPM 2012 R2.  Each VM is listed in DPM in the protection group as "StudentWebApps.HyperVCluster2.xxxx.xxx"  The name of the new cluster will be "HyperVCluster"  I need to keep all the existing backups and also get them transitioned to be backed up in the new cluster also.  What is the proper way to continue backing the VMs up?  Do I need to stop protection of all the members and add them back in from the new cluster?
    Monday, June 2, 2014 8:18 PM

Answers

• One interesting thing that I noticed was that there were about 12 VMs that had snapshots on them.  When I ran the copy cluster roles wizard they would not come online when I tried to start them in the new cluster.  I removed them from the cluster and then re-added them and they started up just fine and all snapshots were there too.  When I went into DPM, all of those VMs had automatically changed their Cluster Network Name to the new one and all the recovery points and replicas were there and work.  If I would have know that from the beginning I would have removed all the VM roles from the new cluster and re-added before turning them back on.  So that is one apparent work around to be able to keep recovery points and replicas.
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:01 PM

All replies

• After migration perform the following steps. Install DPM Agent on all nodes Stop protection of old VM's Keep the disk volumes Be sure to keep the protectiongroup, so at least one Datasource needs to be in the Protectiongroup Add VM's from new Cluster. DPM wil recognize that ther are former backups and will us this data, so nothing will be lost.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

• Proposed as answer by Michael Seidl (MVP)MVP Monday, June 2, 2014 8:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Monday, June 2, 2014 8:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by WSUAL2 Friday, June 6, 2014 4:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by WSUAL2 Friday, June 6, 2014 4:57 PM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Well, things did not go as I expected them to go.  After successfully migrating to the new cluster, I followed the directions above.  The first VM I re-added from the new cluster showed up with a backup option of "Offline" and then when I followed through adding it to the protection group, it started creating a new replica which it is still doing right now.  I went and checked in the inactive protection and I see that the old backups are still in there listed as "backup using child partition snapshot".  Why is this occurring?  Did I miss something?  Recreating replicas for 127 VMs will take a long time and use up a lot of extra space that it shouldn't need to.
    Friday, June 6, 2014 5:09 PM
  • I figured out why it is showing up as an Offline backup. I have not upgraded the integration services on this VM yet. On a different VM that I have integration services upgraded, it shows Online for the backup type.

However, it still wants to create a new replica for the VM with integration services upgraded?  I thought it was supposed to pull in the previous backups?  Does it matter that the Cluster name has changed?

Friday, June 6, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

You should use VMM to migrate the VM's to the new cluster after enabling DPM VMM tracking so it could continue to protect the VM's.  

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/04/24/sc-2012-sp1-dpm-windows-2012-vm-mobility-uninterrupted-data-protection.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:11 PM
  • Yeah, that could be an option but that wasn't the way this has played out.  Not everybody uses VMM in this manner.  There has to be plenty of people that do this without VMM used that way.  Now that I am where I am in this situation how do I fix it?  Is there a way to get DPM to pull in the previous backups that are sitting in inactive protection or not?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

Afraid not, the new VM's have different component ID's assigned by Hyper-V - so DPM has no way to re-associated the old component ID with the new ID so we can re-use the old volumes.

If you run Diskshadow.exe - then list writers, you can see the component name assigned to each VM.   This how DPM keeps track of VM's even if the VM is renamed.

+ Component "Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer:\FC80E789-2810-40E1-890D-DA9D2E785DB9"
                            - Name: FC80E789-2810-40E1-890D-DA9D2E785DB9
                            - Logical path:
                            - Full path: \FC80E789-2810-40E1-890D-DA9D2E785DB9
                            - Caption: Offline\AODC1
                            - Type: VSS_CT_FILEGROUP [2]
                            - Is selectable: TRUE
                            - Is top level: TRUE
                            - Notify on backup complete: FALSE
                            - Paths affected by this component:
                                    - F:\AODC1_3-29-2014_12.10.45\C-Vol\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\AOPrimaryDC\Virtual Machines\
                                    - F:\AODC1_3-29-2014_12.10.45\C-Vol\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\AOPrimaryDC\Virtual Machines\FC80E789-2810-40E1-890D-DA9D2E785DB9
                                    - F:\AODC1_3-29-2014_12.10.45\E-Vol\SQL-AG\AOPrimaryDC\Virtual Hard Disks\
                            - Volumes affected by this component:
                                   - \\?\Volume{605ba47e-b5be-11e3-9400-001f29023e92}\ [F:\]
                            - Component Dependencies:

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:48 PM
  • One interesting thing that I noticed was that there were about 12 VMs that had snapshots on them.  When I ran the copy cluster roles wizard they would not come online when I tried to start them in the new cluster.  I removed them from the cluster and then re-added them and they started up just fine and all snapshots were there too.  When I went into DPM, all of those VMs had automatically changed their Cluster Network Name to the new one and all the recovery points and replicas were there and work.  If I would have know that from the beginning I would have removed all the VM roles from the new cluster and re-added before turning them back on.  So that is one apparent work around to be able to keep recovery points and replicas.
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:01 PM