none
Netmon driver and network adapters RRS feed

• Question

• We just installed NetMon 3.4 and we need to monitor specific traffic between two PCs on a Ethernet LAN configuration.  When we select 'Start' to begin a capture, we receive the following error message:  "None of the network adapters are bound to the netmon driver.  If you have just installed, you may need to log out and log back in order to obtain the proper rights to capture.  Please refer to the product help for more information."

My system administrator has given me full rights to the program and its folder.  When I log out and back in nothing changes and the same error is displayed each time I try to Start a capture.

My questions are: Is NetMon the correct tool to monitor network traffic in a switched environment, or do we need to consider use of Wireshark or other products?

Also, how do we proceed and avoid the error as described above?

Thank you

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble using the tool.  It should be able to help you in your scenario.

If you're not an administrator on your machine, you should make sure your admin has added you to the 'Netmon Users' group which is what Network Monitor checks to see if a user can capture data or not with the tool.

If you are part of that group, try running 'sc  query nm3' from the command line to see if the driver is in the running state.

If it's not running or installed try running 'nmconfig /install' as an administrator and see if that fixes the issue.

Otherwise, if none of those solutions above work, let us know.  We may need you to grab the install log for more details.

Thanks,

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Thank you - I ran the command prompt and it returned "Access Denied".  I'm asking our system administrators to validate my privileges to run the software.

This is a nice resource, thanks for your help.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:57 PM
  • My pleasure, hope you can get it all sorted out.  If you're still having trouble after, try the steps above, and if it still won't work, please contact us here again!

Have a great day.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Michael,

First - thanks for your fast responses.

Now, I looked at my privileges for NetMon 3 using Control Panel and Administrative Tools and it shows I have full access.  My administrator also states I have been given full access; however, when I run the command prompt as requested I receive "Access Denied" as a result.  Is there another administrative role to consider, perhaps an admin role within NetMon (who might need to grant roles for the program within the program)?

It is becoming critical to analyze the traffic on our network and I greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thank you!

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Good morning

I'm not certain an earlier posting went through, so trying again. 

I checked with my system admin and verified I  have full permissions by viewing Control Panel - Administrative Tools.  However, when I type in sc query nm3 it still returns "Access Denied".

Since I apparently have full permissions where Windows is concerned, does the "Access Denied" still indicate a permissions issue, or is there a permission level internal to NetMon that I need to be assigned to?  It is becoming critical for us to be able to use this tool, so I very much appreciate your help.

Thank you

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:12 PM
  • The perimissions Network Monitor requires is either you have to run the applicaiton as administrator or be a part of the Netmon Users Group.  I'm not sure if "sc query nm3" requires the same permissions, but that seems a possibility.

Are you part of the Netmon Users Group?

If not, can you start Netmon as administrator and does that make a difference?

Can you sys admin run "sc query nm3" from an administrator cmd prompt?

Thanks,

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:35 PM
  • I'm having the same issue as the OP.

Installed on Win7-32.  The account I installed with does not have admin rights, but I elevated when prompted during the install with an account that is a member of the local admin group.  The software installed, from what I can tell, correctly.  The account that it installed with was added to the Netmon Users Group.  The adapter shows the netmon driver in the stack with the box checked.  Running with the account that installed, I get the driver binding error.

Logging in with an account that is a member of the Administrators Group, and is also added to the Netmon Users group,  and the same error occurs.  I checked the service using "sc query nm3" and the service shows that it is running.

What's next?

Friday, November 9, 2012 12:21 AM
  • Mike, does it work if you run Networ Monitor as elevated?

Thanks,

Paul

Monday, November 12, 2012 4:12 PM
  • I had the same issue, and easy solved with "Run As Administrator"
    Friday, May 10, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Deleted
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Seems the driver was not installed.  You can try to install again by going to the Network Monitor directory in your Program Files, from an admin command prompt and running "nmconfig /install".  Then see if the "sc query nm3" command returns something different.  If it doesn't, then we'll need more information about your configuration, like the list of interfaces and the list of drivers bound to each NIC.

Paul

• Proposed as answer by AlejandroPAlex Friday, January 10, 2014 9:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AlejandroPAlex Friday, January 10, 2014 9:58 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 9:07 PM
  • I have the same issue  with message "None of the network adapters are bound to the netmon driver.  If you have just installed, you may need to log out and log back in order to obtain the proper rights to capture.  Please refer to the product help for more information."

I have just downloaded installation from Microsoft page

NM34_x64 .exe (I have Window 8).

Run and choose "repair". I also already had my account in Netmon Users group.

Just installation repair helped to solve the issue.

Best luck. 
    Friday, January 10, 2014 9:59 AM
  • Seems the driver was not installed.  You can try to install again by going to the Network Monitor directory in your Program Files, from an admin command prompt and running "nmconfig /install".  Then see if the "sc query nm3" command returns something different.  If it doesn't, then we'll need more information about your configuration, like the list of interfaces and the list of drivers bound to each NIC.

Paul

Hello,Paul E Long

I have the same issue now, I have admin privileges to my device and i have tried all the solutions suggested above.

I run  "nmconfig /install",but no message showed as  a result.

and then when i run "sc Query nm3", i get the follow message:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc query nm3
    [SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

How can i do?

How can i get "more information about your configuration, like the list of interfaces and the list of drivers bound to each NIC"?

thanks.

BR

Friday, May 30, 2014 3:15 AM
  • What OS are you installing on?  Do you have any virtual machine software like VMWare or something similar?  Has Network Monitor every captured successfully on this machine?

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Hi,Paul

The OS is Win7 Pro SP1, 32bit.

There is no virtual machine software installing on the PC.

The  Network Monitor has never captured successfully on this machine. Since installed, the Network Monitor always displays nothing in the network interface view.

any other methods to solve this issue? or other clues to find the reason of this issue?

thanks.

BR.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:51 AM
  • I had the same problem on Windows Pro ver. 7/8/8.1

The trick is that even if you are a local administrator, you need to run the program elevated (Run As Administrator) to access certain system functions.

The same applies to the console command "sc query nm3". You need to start CMD in elevated mode for the command to succeed.

I hope this helps.

Have a nice day

lb:þ

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue, I re-launched 'netmon' and run as 'Administrator' would solve this issue. Hope it helps some one.

Thanks,
    Ravi

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:14 PM
  • You can find the resolution in the Release Notes:

-----------------------------------------------------

Capture Driver Requires Administrative Privileges
    -----------------------------------------------------

The Network Monitor 3.4 driver captures network traffic only if it is
      run with administrator privileges. For Windows XP and Windows Server
      2003, this requires that the user be logged on as an administrator on the computer
      (local or domain account.)

For Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7, the Network Monitor 3.4 driver can
      gain administrative privileges in two ways:

a)  (Recommended) Place your user account in the Netmon Users group. 
           (This group is created during installation, and the current user is
           added to the group; adding users to the group requires administrator
           privileges.) Once added, the user must log off and log back on for the
           change to take effect.

If you are installing Network Monitor 3.x for the first time, log off
      and log back on after installation to enable capturing.

b)  Run Netmon.exe as an administrator (from an elevated command
            window, or right-click on Run as administrator.)

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 8:19 PM