Windows XP Activation code RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've made an Acronis image backup of my XP machine since I upgraded to a new laptop running 7 and made it into a virtual maching that runs on VMware. When I started the virtual XP on it is asking for me to activate xp again. Is there a way for me to retrieve my old activation code, or do I have to buy a new license?

If I have to buy a new code, how can I get one?

Thank you

Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:56 PM

Answers

• XP is seeing significant hardware changes - eg virtual devices - hence the requirement to reactivate.

Try phone activation. If/when the automated system fails you, wait, then use the option to request to speak to a "consultant" to complete the activation. Microsoft has always been very lenient and the whole process should take less than 5 minutes.
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:17 AM

All replies

• If you still have the XP machine, run Belarc Advisor and note all the appropriate codes.

If you don't have the old machine, XP should let you potpone activation for 30 days which should be enough time to run Belarc Advisor.  The old codes should still be present but not associated with the new system.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:12 AM
  • XP is seeing significant hardware changes - eg virtual devices - hence the requirement to reactivate.

Try phone activation. If/when the automated system fails you, wait, then use the option to request to speak to a "consultant" to complete the activation. Microsoft has always been very lenient and the whole process should take less than 5 minutes.
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:17 AM