"The detection Failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi SharePoint Admin/Experts,

Today i was trying to install the Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 (MOSS-2007) August-2010 Cumulative updates in my SharePoint Server farm. I have 3 servers in my SharePoint Server farm. They are,

Server 1-DB Server (2008 Entprise-SP2)

Server 2-Index Server, Query server and Central Administration site hosted on this server.

Server 3-WFE Server.

I have downloaded x64-bit AUGUST 2010, WSS 3.0 and MOSS-2007 successfully and extracted. First i have run the wss3.0 update in Server3 (WFE) and then MOSS 2007 successfully, but i did not run the SharePoint configuration Wizard. Now i came to Server 2, and started to install same package (wss 3.0 and MOSS 2007) which used in Server3. The moment i start to run the WSS 3.0 August 2010, Cumulative update, i happen to face this error" The detection Failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database".

Almost i have tried all the search forums; i could not find the solution for this error. During my search i found that the following issues.

The %rootdirectory%\installer folder files mismatch between Server3 and Server2. I do not what happened on the server installer folder.

Due to patch apply in Server3, my SharePoint Server showing, following error. “An error has occurred on the server http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?/LinkID=96177? I know this is because of SharePoint patch update mismatch between Server2 and Server3. Now i do not have roll back Option for installed updates in Server3 and i am unable to run the August cumulative update in Server2, i do not know have to resolve this issue.

Rebuilding my farm will be quite difficult.

Any Help highly cherished.

All the best!

Regards,

Suresh G

Visual Source Safe 2005
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:50 AM Quotes placed around text of error message
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:49 AM

Answers

• Hi G.Suresh,

This problem is caused due to the installation files in the C:\Windows\Installer folder were delete. These files are required to install updates. Maybe you should check this thread, I think it’s helpful and enlightening to you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointadmin/thread/cfa66cd3-2aa2-44ee-9393-ffae41d4f70c,

you can try the method which was posted by Doug, many users said that the method works, perhaps you can solve this issue by it.

Hope this could help you.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by G.Suresh Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron Han - MSFT Monday, December 27, 2010 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi G.Suresh,

This problem is caused due to the installation files in the C:\Windows\Installer folder were delete. These files are required to install updates. Maybe you should check this thread, I think it’s helpful and enlightening to you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointadmin/thread/cfa66cd3-2aa2-44ee-9393-ffae41d4f70c,

you can try the method which was posted by Doug, many users said that the method works, perhaps you can solve this issue by it.

Hope this could help you.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by G.Suresh Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron Han - MSFT Monday, December 27, 2010 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Hi Peng Lei,

Thanks for your help, i will check this URLs and then let you know.

Best Regards,

Suresh G

Visual Source Safe 2005
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:53 PM