none
Let user drag and drop dimensions and measures RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I´m new to PPS and have been fooling around with reports and dashboards. What I would like to know is if PPS can be a replacement for Office Web Components Pivot Table.

Today, our business users are using OWC pivot table, contained in static html pages. But we would like a bit more "modern" approach.

So, can  PPS Analytic Grid be used as a pivot table, i.e. let the users choose dimensions and measures themselves?

Or is there another way you would recommend?

BR

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:53 AM

All replies

• Andrew,

PPS Analytic views do not have a specific dimension selection function. However by using filters and cross-drilling this functionality can be matched for specific analytic scenarios.

For a web based general analytic tool ProClarity Standard client will be the best fit. Also ProClarity views can be hosted in PPS and fully support parameters from PPS filters. For desktop OLAP analytics ProClarity Desktop is going to give a much better user experience than pivot tables for all but the most basic scenarios. These tools were part of the PPS license and now are included in the MOSS enterprise call with PPS.

Without much more information about the specific business problem you are trying to solve it is difficult to give a more specific answer but you should certainly consider PPS, ProClarity or PPS+ProClarity for any OLAP analytic scenario you are currently using OWC pivot tables to address. One (or all) of these solutions will give your users a better experience and deliver more business value from your SSAS investment.

-Peter Sprague   
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Well in PPS there is a kind of report called "PIVOT CHARTS" Which allows the user to drag and drop the measures and dimensions. When it comes to analytic there is no such feature other than cross drill down analysis. The other option you could try is the ProClarity views which can be incorporated into PPS dashboards. You can enable Web Professional on Proclarity views and when the users launch the web professional they can drag and drop the dimensions and measures.

Regards,
    Ram
    Friday, May 1, 2009 8:27 AM