Installing PAS on a virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for this and what Microsoft stance is?

Thanks,

Larry

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Larry,

I believe Microsoft will assist however possible if you're running PAS on a virtual environment.  However if their support reps exhaust all options that normally solve problematic PAS installations / configurations, then they will ask that you test the product on a physical machine to ensure nothing in the virtual environment is contributing to the errant behavior.  If you and the support representative can almost certainly attribute corrupt behavior to a virtual machine then you'll probably need to setup a physical machine to host PAS on, or even test using a completely different virtual machine.  As you probably know, each virtual environment seems to have a mind of its own, so what doesn't work on one may work fine on another. 

HTH

Amanda

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hello Larry,

I believe Microsoft will assist however possible if you're running PAS on a virtual environment.  However if their support reps exhaust all options that normally solve problematic PAS installations / configurations, then they will ask that you test the product on a physical machine to ensure nothing in the virtual environment is contributing to the errant behavior.  If you and the support representative can almost certainly attribute corrupt behavior to a virtual machine then you'll probably need to setup a physical machine to host PAS on, or even test using a completely different virtual machine.  As you probably know, each virtual environment seems to have a mind of its own, so what doesn't work on one may work fine on another. 

HTH

Amanda

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

We are planning to migrate our PAS ver 6.0 dedicated servers to PAS ver 6.3 servers on Virtual Machine with same specifications.

Given below are the specifications of the Virtual Machine.

Hardware:

·         Equivalent to ProLiant DL380

·         AMD Opteron 2400-1.0 MB

·         2GB RAM

Operating system

·         Windows server 2003 Standard edition SP1

·         Windows Internet Information Services Application Package

I request information on

1)       Has any one tried installation of PAS 6.3 on Virtual Machines?

2)       Any known issues with installing PAS 6.3 on Virtual machines?

Regards

RaviKiran

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:34 PM