none
Working Offline/Online Offline Files Registry Key - Windows 7

Question

• Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have been Googling all over the place last couple of days and looking through hundreds of regkeys but cannot find the answer. 

We have 1800 PC's using Offline files to a NAS location. Even though the Group Policy is set to force PC's Offline no matter what the latency value. I have noticed some PC's that have Offline files enabled but are set to work online. Maybe set manually before the GPO was applied. Anyway I was wondering if there is a way to detect on numerous PC's whether a PC is set to work Offline or Online? I have been looking to see if a regkey changes when the Work Offline / Online button is pressed on the file menu of the redirected folder. 

I have found a key that changes if you hit the button Work Online/ Offline button

manually HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache\OnlineTransitionLog Value - (name of nas share) but this clears when the PC is rebooted or logged out and does not reappear unless you do the switch again manually. This will not work when I try to scan all the PC's.

Help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:10 AM

All replies

• Well Microsoft/windows are fairly specific not to edit the registry.And one would think youre in the wrong area.As it might be: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT_CONTROL_SET/CONTROL/SESSION MGMT/  edit values.

Or,R.click on cmd prompt/run as Administrator,in cmd type: services.msc in msc locate group policy,double click,reset its tabs..

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:30 PM
  • Which policy did you set to force work offline?

If you force work offline and enabled offline files, that means machine will not connect to the server to sync the files automatically. 

To test if it has been forced to work offline, just modify the files and check if it has been synced on the server. Under offline mode, it will not access server to sync.

I am not sure if it will create some entries in registry. If your host server has not shut down, then it will store the cache somewhere. Then when you manually sync the offline files under online mode, it will query the registry keys to compare the cache to sync.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:34 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for the replies. The policy that was set to force to work offline is in the GPO configure slow link policy. We have set the latency to 1 so that it should push all the devices to work offline. Because I will not be able to do the tests on all 1800 PC's to see if it has been forced offline correctly.  I need a way to detect which users are set to work online instead of offline. I am assuming most are set to work offline because of the policy but I have seen a couple where they have been set to work online. 
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Hi Andrew, not sure how this enables me to see which Users redirected documents are set to work Offline or Online? Thanks
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 1:35 PM
  • From my test, I enable the policy on domain and set the latency to 1. It will show in registry as below, and it will not disappear if you reboot the machine. 

Just make sure the policy has been applied correctly to your client machine. And if you have checked that the registry is added and the client machine still in an online mode, try to reboot a few times. Then test on one machine, modify the content of the folder and seeing if it will sync on the server share. As I know, if it is in an offline mode, it will not connect to server to sync the content. AFAIK, will it be possible that even it hasn't changed in UI as online mode, but it is actually work offline.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:36 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Vivian. How would i tell from a remote perspective though which clients are set to work online in the UI, this is what I need to find out as I don't want to have to connect to 1800 machines to find one that has this set to test to see if the GPO has applied correctly? 
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:16 AM
  • To check if the registry exists on the remote side, you need to write a script, below is an example:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c60a07ae-6645-4f35-b458-e063931da6e9/verify-if-a-registry-key-exists-on-remote-machines?forum=winserverpowershell

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10275133/check-if-a-registry-path-exists-in-remote-machine

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Hi Vivian, Thanks I have a script to check if the regkey exists. But if it is a possibility that the latency  1 key exists but the client is still set to work online in the UI I would need the key to tell whether the work online button is activated for me to test this theory. The policy is applied to all 1800 computers and has been for months and they are rebooted on a daily basis but I have still seen a couple of PCs with work online set in the UI which have since been changed to work offline, the setting work online in the UI is what i need to be able to search for to be able to test.  
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:38 AM
  • I use Process Monitor to capture if there is any registry entry created when I press "work online" button, and I fond nothing useful. So checking registry is not a correct direction. I also find the key  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache\OnlineTransitionLog, which has been excluded.

Just a workaround:

Can you modify the content of shared folder and then list the content remotely with computer name. If it works offline, then it will not sync with the latest content. If it work online, then the content will have been changed. Then the computer name will let you know which one is "work online " activated.

That is all what I can think of, good luck.

Any way, thanks for your time. If you need help to remotely list content of a file with computer name, you can contact Script Center Forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en/home?category=scripting

Friday, April 20, 2018 6:44 AM
  • What is going on?

It is appreciated that you can mark the helpful suggestions as an answer to help us close the thread.

If you have the resolution, please share it with us. Thank you.

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Hi Vivian,  sorry for the delay . thank you for your suggestion of a workaround but it still hasn't helped identify though out of the 1800 PC's that have their files set to work online via the user interface. With there being no obvious reg key to look for I guess this maybe a hard thing to achieve. 
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:40 PM
  • Thank you for the key.

I would have just let it slide but since your response kind of sounds condescending to the person who was asking for assistance I will add my two cents.

If you are were as good as IT as you think you are, you would use the proper character in your post.

It is not 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT_CONTROL_SET/CONTROL/SESSION MGMT/

It IS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENT_CONTROL_SET\CONTROL\SESSION MGMT\

People that use / instead of using \ where it is required is one of my "Pet Peeves"

Helpful nice guy

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:32 AM