Upgrading with Windows Storage Spaces RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to upgrade my PC's CPU and MOBO as they are starting to seriously bottleneck my performance. Currently I have 4 drives arranged in a RAID 10 using Windows Storage Spaces. My question is: what steps, if any, do I need to take to ensure that the storage space stays intact when I move my drives to the new setup? Will I need to break the storage space to move the drives? I plan to back everything up before the move but it would save me several hours if I could just plug the drives in and get to my files.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question,

Generally, it wouldn't impact the storage space and disks if you simply upgrade your CPU and MOBO. That the OS can recognize the upgrading CPU and MOBO is a key point.

Based on my experience, you need to offline all your disks, then proceed your implementation. The importance point is, it is recommended to ensure your data backup before the process. 

If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:00 AM
  • PLEASE HELP

I installed home then upgraded to pro - windows spaces was fine. i fresh installed home on an independently formatted drive, now windows spaces is incomplete and inaccesable.
    I did a fresh install,win10 home from pro and back to home, didnt like pro. i disconnected my spaces drives first. -  all are connected through an external powered usb strip, (1st possible problem). Other side of that are:

2 drives connected independently with external hd sata to usb connector.

4 connected through a multi hd bay (4) which pc sees as a single use unit 

2 connected similarly w/ powered 2 port sata to usb unit

8 sata drives total.

I reinstalled win10, as far as i know both versions we're the same (as far as windows updates). Now i can't get spaces to see all the drives, it sees 6 out of 8. The same two never show, after connectecting each drive (waiting for it to show before connecting the next) separately. I have not done anything to the spaces drives (except move them around port to port ).  

What to do? 

I assume 1st the drives need to be in their original configuration. Specifically the multi usb housing- do the drives have to be in the exact slots in the housing, or is it good enough to have the exact same four drives in the housing no matter the order?

Friday, April 24, 2020 12:41 AM