problem RRS feed

• Question

• hi i have a windows vista compaq computer laptop the burner was working well and all of a sudden it stop burning. I dont know what to do. it says connect to a burner and restart it. could u tell me what to do please
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding this issue, let's perform the following steps to narrow down it.

1.     What is the application you use to burn CDs? Try to burn CD through other applications such as: Windows Vista built-in Windows DVD Maker.

2.     Check if CD can be read in this burner. It is recommended to put an installation disc into this burner and restart the computer, please make sure that CD/DVD is the first boot device.

3.     Uninstall and reinstall burner driver.

Uninstall Driver

================

1)   Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2)   Expand the "Device Category name" category.

3)   Right click on the burner device and click Uninstall.

4)   Restart the computer.

Note: Generally, computer detects CD/DVD device and install driver automatically after restarting. However, if CD/DVD is specific, you may need to contact hardware manufacturer for driver then manually install it.

Manually install driver

===============

1)   Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2)   Expand the "Device Category name" category.

3)   Right click "Device Name" we are using and click Update Driver Software…

4)   Select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.

5)   Click on the Browse button to locate the folder which includes the driver files.

6)   Click Next and follow the wizard to install the driver.

If neither of above works, please continue the step.

4.     Check in Registry to see if any upper or lower filter listed.

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461/en-us

5.     I may also need to recommend that you contact hardware manufacture to fix it. There might be related to hardware defect too.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, June 29, 2009 4:07 AM