NOT ONLY DO MY ESSENTIAL WINDOWS 7 PRO PROGRAMS WORK, BUT I DO NOT EVEN WANT ANY UPDATES FROM MICROSOFT RRS feed

• Question

• After being forced to take on Windows 10, I am afraid to take any updates from Microsoft. 

I do not want to have to research out every update that Microsoft is trying to get me to install, so I just keep postponing all updates.  I have never been fond of newer versions of Windows because it reminds me of the new versions of software for my Android. 

Every time a new version comes out, there are less options or customization's that come with it.   

Not only this but, I will buy what I want to buy from whom ever I wish and no amount of

In fact, the more that I am reminded about a product or service, the less that I want anything to do with it.

How do I get over being worried about the updates that Microsoft says that I need?  Not the Windows 10, but even updates for Windows 7 Pro.  I am afraid to get any updates?

CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET OVER THE APPREHENSION AND THE DEFENSIVENESS I AM FEELING TOWARDS MICROSOFT?

<object id="kpm_plugin" type="application/x-KPMPlugin"></object>
    Friday, June 17, 2016 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi JGLynch,

If you don’t like Windows 10 and have backed up the $Windows.~BT, $Windows.~WS and Windows.old folders, you can go back to the previous version.

Since these folders are required by the system to perform the rollback operation. After 30 days, Windows 10 automatically deletes these folders during Automatic Maintenance. After 30 days, you may not see the option to Roll back in the Settings app or you may receive a message “We’re sorry, but you can’t go back.”

In addition, if you have the recovery media, also can try the factory restore.

Also you can turn off the Windows update if you don’t want to install. Refer to the link:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:15 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JGLynch Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:32 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 12:20 PM
  • Thank You, Tao,

Had I known my laptop would be compromised by Microsoft after denying the install so many times, I would have backed up the Windows.  I was not forewarned and this makes my blood boil.

I have back up media that came with the laptop but, I do not want to loose data and although there are many ways to back up your data, I have never ever been successful in not losing data.  I have 3 external hard drives but, without handpicking everything to back up, I cannot trust that Windows will even when commanded will back up all the data that I want. Windows only backs up what it deems important in my experience.

It would be great if I could pick and chose what from the rescue media that I wanted to restore but, the media states right on the label that it will restore computer back to factory condition and further warns that DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SEPARATE THIS MEDIA OR YOU MAY NOT REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM.  This is unlike when you could install certain applications.

I have yet to find a actual good link to reinstall Windows Essentials 2011.  NOT AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD ANYMORE.   SO,  I am still exactly where I was .  Nothing I have tried works so far.  I still get errors about dll files missing after reboot.  I still cannot use photo gallery or movie maker and the paint is a stripped down shell with no tools.  Now, I have Kaspersky also begging me to upgrade to Windows 10.

Why would I want to upgrade to Windows 10, when Microsoft eliminated the option to update and their intention in this upgrade is to mine data intended for targeted advertising? 

• Edited by JGLynch Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:33 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:32 PM