Accessibility in Windows SteadyState RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello all,
     I have a question about Windows SteadyState in terms of accessibility.  I am a computer tech for a local computer store in my area and have the challenge of configuring a few terminals for free internet access within the store.  My employer and I both agree that making sure that users cannot change the state of these computers is vital, and a friend told me about this wonderful tool.  However before I dive in with two feet I have a couple questions about accessibility, as I am blind, or visually impaired and will need to be able to administer these systems without someone elses assistance.  So once Windows SteadyState is installed, how does one log in to it?  Is it accessible from the standard Windows Login screen and its console application actually runs in Windows when the user is logged in as admin?  Or is it something which is only configurable during the computers start-up process and thus loads the console before Windows itself loads?  I ask because my screen reader software i use only runs from Windows, so either from the Windows login screen or from the desktop itself when Windows applications can be called or launched.  Therefore if this application loads before Windows itself such as a boot manager than I will have a serious problem using it, however if it can be installed and administered from within Windows under the admin account for the machine, I should be all set.  If anyone can shed some light on this subject for me it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cory
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:33 AM

Answers

• Dear Cory, 

As far as I know the console only loads when you launch it, and acts as a service, which I think means that it basically only starts when you log into the profile you install into.  To access the steady state console, you should install it into a administrator account, than you can either use the welcome screen and hide the administrator account, or use the Windows Login Screen with the setting not to save the user name, so folks don't see user names.  All that said, what you may need to do, is configure all your user profiles before loading Steady State.  What I mean by this, is icons, desktop settings, printers, and whatever else you want the customer to have access to.  Than once all your settings are to your liking, install steady state and lock down the profile(s), otherwise security settings from steady state might interfer with your Screen Reader if you need to change the profile setting (I am not sure what exactly your screen reader is capable of, and I remember the older screen readers just read what ever was on the screen at the time, so I am unsure on how it will aid in your configuration of the user profile). 

Hope that helps,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA 95023
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:08 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:33 PM