none
Manage accounts and associated projects in PWA 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

My department do a lot of short-termed projects (<1 month) for multiple accounts (not user account, I mean customers or clients), and we may do multiple projects for a same account.

Our company has a CRM system (our department don't use it yet) where you can see a list of all the accounts. If choosing an account, I can see what products it bought, what projects we did for it.

Here are my two questions:

Q1:

Is it possible in Project server/PWA to maintain a list of accounts and their related information, such as contact name, address, installed products, previous projects, and some shared documents?

Q2:

We have done several projects for a same account. When I go to the project site of this projects, is there a way to link to other projects associated with this account?

I can think of adding a field "Customer" to the project plan, so I can group project by Customer in project center, but don't find answers to my two questions above.

Please help. Thanks a lot!

• Edited by royyoung_ Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:24 AM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:23 AM

All replies

• Q1,

Project Server can only read few attributes from Active Directory.

• windows user account -> windows user account
    • display name --> display user name
    • email address --> email address
    • department --> group

Project Server  can not maintain installed products. If you are maintaining all the projects in Project server and not archiving them once  completed you can easily see the  see old projects.

Q2,

Be default resource can see all the projects he is part of.

Yes, you can create Project Custom filed to define group by "Customer" in project center

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Roy,

I don't think this can be done out-of-the-box. However I would look at writing two custom components to make your life easier:

1. Lookup-table sync with your CRM.  Either via BDC/External Content types or straight SQL, synchronise your client account list in CRM with a Lookup Table in Project Server.  This will allow you to create a Project-Level custom field that you can use to select the client account the project is for on a PDP.
    2. An on-publish event receiver.  This event receiver could use the value of the client account custom field to populate the Workspace website with data/links from your CRM system that are specific to the customer the project is for.

Sorry couldn't think of any easy/simple solution for you.

Regards,

James.

James Boman - http://www.boman.biz Software Consultant for IPMO - http://www.ipmo.com.au

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:34 AM